Please don't convert the Hex View

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
TÜV

Please don't convert the Hex View

Post by TÜV »

Feature Request:
In the "View" option "Hex" (Ctrl+H) of the Internal Viewer (F3) the left (hex) side should not change by choosing a "Convert" option.

Reason:
For fast scrolling I have to choose the the OEM/DOS-font "Terminal" 9 pt with the "Convert" option "ANSI -OEM" to see the German characters ÄÖÜäöüß of Windows correctly. Then for example Ö is shown wrong as 99 hex instead of D6 hex.

If I use a font like "Courier New" 9 pt then I have to choose "Don't Convert" and see Ö = D6 hex, but then I have less text on a screen and scrolling is slower.

Or can you add a font like "Terminal" 9 pt, but not with the OEM/DOS character set, which can also be chosen within the "File Comparator Configuration"?

Scrolling through the comparison of 2 binary files with 1 MB (by keeping the page down key pressed) takes my 22 seconds with the font "Terminal" 9 pt, but 74 seconds with the font "Courier New" 9 pt.
mdruiter

Re: Please don't convert the Hex View

Post by mdruiter »

+1
The characters should be converted, but not the hex digits!
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Re: Please don't convert the Hex View

Post by zarevak »

+1
There is already at least one english thread: Bug in Viewer - hex mode - from 2005!!
and at least one slovak/czech thread about this: Internal viewer: HEX mod bez CP konverzie - from 2007 with my thread bump in 2009