Additional devices I'd like to see in Salamander!

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
MrBill

Additional devices I'd like to see in Salamander!

Post by MrBill »

I'm not sure if this is a bug report or a feature request, so I've posted it in "Feature Requests".

I'm using 2.53b2, although what I'm reporting has always been true: All of my hardware devices appear in Salamander except for two: a SanDisk Clip+ MP3 player (like iPod), and one of my 2 digital cameras. Both of these items DO appear in Windows Explorer, but they do not have a more descriptive location (d:\, e:\, etc.). Will these devices ever appear in Salamander? If so, it would greatly enhance working with these 2 devices!

Note that if you'd like to test any changes to address this problem, I will be glad to help.

Thanks, MrBill
(Registered Salamander user)
Tomas Kopal
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Additional devices I'd like to see in Salamander!

Post by Tomas Kopal »

My Sansa Clip shows up in Salamander just fine, I don't think that Clip+ would be any different. Please make sure that it is set to connect as a mass storage device (MSC in Settings->USB Mode), not media player (MTP).
I suspect that the digital camera would be the same case, with the difference that I doubt it would be possible to switch it to mass storage mode...
MrBill

Post by MrBill »

Tomas Kopal wrote:My Sansa Clip shows up in Salamander just fine, I don't think that Clip+ would be any different. Please make sure that it is set to connect as a mass storage device (MSC in Settings->USB Mode), not media player (MTP).
I suspect that the digital camera would be the same case, with the difference that I doubt it would be possible to switch it to mass storage mode...
Hi Tomas,

I just spent the last 15 minutes looking for mass storage device, MSC in Settings->USB Mode, & not media player (MTP). I couldn't even find Settings in Salamander . . . but I did find Configuration. Unfortunately none of these parameters were in Configuration. I also searched the Salamander Help Index but did not find these parameters. Can you tell me where to look? :?:
Ether

Post by Ether »

You should really be able to go to Settings > System Settings > USB Mode and choose MSC. If not, what options do you see there?
Ελληνικά rulez.
th.

Post by th. »

It's a setting in the Sansa, not in Salamander :).
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/207

Sansa Fuze and Sansa Clip+
- From the Main Menu, select Settings > System Settings > USB Mode.

(You can also check if you are on latest firmware version for your Sansa Clip+)
MrBill

Post by MrBill »

Jan Rysavy wrote:http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/207

Sansa Fuze and Sansa Clip+
- From the Main Menu, select Settings > System Settings > USB Mode.

(You can also check if you are on latest firmware version for your Sansa Clip+)
OK, I did this and the Clip+ was now visible in Salamander. BUT - only the top-most files and folders were shown. The Music folder (the most important to me) was shown as empty. I tried it in Windows Explorer and saw exactly the same thing. So I checked the firmware and found that I had v1.01.05, whereas the latest was 1.02.15A. I updated the firmware and then found that only the top-most files and folders were visible in Salamander and in Explorer, just as before the update.

This problem may have something to do with the fact that my O.S. is Windows-7 (x64), but in any event I don't think it is worth the effort to pursue this problem any longer since everything is fine in Explorer.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

- Bill
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

From http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/m ... ad.id=6144
When the Clip is in MTP mode, the computer only shows files transferred in MTP mode; and likewise as to MSC mode. But all play and show on the Clip.
It looks like it would be necessary to copy files from your player to desktop computer in the MTP mode, empty the player, switch it to MSC and copy files back.
MrBill

Post by MrBill »

Jan Rysavy wrote:From http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/m ... ad.id=6144

It looks like it would be necessary to copy files from your player to desktop computer in the MTP mode, empty the player, switch it to MSC and copy files back.
OK, I gave this a try. Since I keep a full Clip+ backup on my PC, I reformatted the Clip+ in MTP mode, switched it over to MSC mode, then copied everything from the PC backup folder to the Clip+ using only Salamander. It worked like a champ . . . what's better it that it was FAST. I did not benchmark the process, but the full copy to Clip+ took about 40 minutes in MTP mode and about 1/2 that in MSC mode! Then I checked all my settings (some of which had changed) then played a few songs and found that everything worked fine!

Thanks for the help guys . . .

- Bill
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Great :)
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

See Portable Devices plugin.