Multiple file masks in file search dialog

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
roman2

Multiple file masks in file search dialog

Post by roman2 »

The Named field in the Find dialog should have instructions on how to use more than one mask at a time. I tend to use comma because I am used to using it in email, but it is wrong in this dialog.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Multiple file masks in file search dialog

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Please press F1 (Help > Contents). It is described in the 'Named' paragraph.
roman2

Post by roman2 »

I only found that in the description of the Look in field in the Help. But even if Help was complete, it's too time consuming to look into it for everything. It would much more user-friendly to mention to use semicolons near the field itself in the dialog (possibly in a tooltip that is displayed automatically).
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

I understand, but it's there:

Named
Type the file or directory name in this box. Use file masks to specify a group of files or directories.

File Masks
Asterisk (*) and question mark (?) are wildcard characters. The asterisk matches any sequence of characters, whereas the question mark matches any single character. File masks contain wildcard characters (e.g. *.a? matches .a1, anything.ai, etc.) and are separated by semi-colon (e.g. *.txt;*.doc matches a.txt, b.doc, etc.).
SvA

Post by SvA »

roman2, if you use this feature from time to time you can have a look at the history pulldown as a work around. Chances are you find a previous search as an example there.

Altap, in several other places you have a widget named mask hint, that displays a tooltop help giving the information without looking up online help. To save space and clutter on the dialog, you might add the tooltip to some other element of the dialog. Possibilities beeing the Named label, the text box itself, the find button, the down-pointing triangle at the right of the text box.

I'd prefere the mask hint approach. There is room for it on a line with Search subdirectories. The tooltip should give hints for Named as well as Look in.