Batch rename: add "keep extension"

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
pjj

Batch rename: add "keep extension"

Post by pjj »

Once in a while I use AS batch rename to... well, rename files. Most often I use counter to get consecutive numbers. I think it'd be great if default for "Start at" was 1, not 0 (this could go to "Options", though), but that's not my point. My point is that after adding counter I need to click on the "New name" field twice (to focus on it and then to undo selection) and fill in extension, which in my case is always the same as original. Hence my request to add to the "Add Counter" settings window yet another option: "do not change extension", preferably checked by default. (I do not use other options for renaming files. Perhaps it'd be more appropriate to solve my little problem in some other way, i.e. add this option somewhere else; that's fine with me.)
Ether

Re: Batch rename: add "keep extension"

Post by Ether »

I think that a better solution for this (and other difficulties) would be changing the default value of the New name field. Now it's '$(OriginalName)', whereas '$(NamePart).$(ExtPart)' seems to be more flexible - you can insert text/counters before the extension part without any additional operations. The only downside is that the resulting name for directories and files without extensions has a dot at the end (a detail, but may be confusing, especially because the dot is actually stripped).
Ελληνικά rulez.