Automatically delete no longer valid pathes in history

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
Hawkwind

Automatically delete no longer valid pathes in history

Post by Hawkwind »

I have the opposite problem:

Sometime I establish a network connection just for a very short time. After disconnecting I can't use the history any longer because at the moment the (disconnected) network path should display in the history, an error occurs.

Is it possible to automatically delete no longer valid pathes in history?
Last edited by Jan Rysavy on 21 Jan 2010, 10:49, edited 1 time in total.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Automatically delete no longer valid pathes in history

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Hawkwind

Post by Hawkwind »

I suppose, nothing new on this task?
therube

Post by therube »

This affects not only network paths, but all types of directory traversal.

Including such things like ZIP files.
ZIPs can be particularly annoying.
Say you've opened a ZIP & traversed down 4 or 5 levels.
You back out, to the "parent directory" (if you will) & delete the ZIP (outright).

At that point, your intentions are to traverse back into the disk (not ZIP) directory structure.

But first you must answer four (or five or however many) prompts relating to the ZIP (which no longer exists) before you can get back to a place that still exists.

In the case of a ZIP (or any tree, if its possible), once the parent node is invalid, perhaps any remaining nodes should automatically be invalidated, such that in the ZIP example, you get the initial prompt of "Error Opening File", but it should only be that one. At that point, that tree should be invalidated. Then next attempt to go back (Alt+left_arrow) should take you back to the first node outside that tree.

But you say ...

I have a USB Flash drive that is flaky. Sometimes, depending on the particular physical port I plug it into, it tends to disconnect/reconnect. Sometimes a time or two, sometimes repeatedly. So at any time it may or may not "be there" & so may or may not be there to Salamander. And if it is there, & I've traversed to it, then it is in my history. Then it drops out, drive is gone. Salamander notifies me.

Now a moment later, it has come back.

If when it dropped, the tree was invalidated, an Alt+left_arrow would know longer it had been there.

As it is now, once it comes back, an Alt+left_arrow will take me back right to where I was before.

So ... it can work both ways.

This could be particularly bothersome if you are trying to retrieve data from a failing HDD. In that scenario, the HDD may only be available for a short period of time. During that time, you're copying data off as fast as you can. The drive drops (& if attached externally via USB) you disconnect & or power it down, hoping to get something more from it. It spins up, you hit Alt+left_arrow & you're back in business till you go through the cycle again. If the history were lost (truncated) it would be more difficult & time consuming to get back to where you had been.

(Trying to think, a Copy operation, if the drive dropped on you, would pop up an error. On getting the drive to spin backup, the Copy would resume at the same point once you clicked the Retry.)
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
Hawkwind

Post by Hawkwind »

I see what you mean. So it would've make sense if it is optional and you can configure it as you like. I just want to have that option.