Saving configuration on exit / multiple instances

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Oliver S wrote:Partly, I guess. The part where it would not help is to do with my way of working. I have a lot of different things to do all day. Often one things interrupts me in the middle of something else. Usually the things I'm doing have to do with files. When something interrupts me while I'm doing something else, I run another instance of SS to work on that new thing. I leave all windows of previous tasks open. I have a big workspace over three screens and I often have tens of windows open. Seeing these windows in their positions reminds of the job I was doing in them and helps me remember where I left off. Does this make any sense? :-)
Yes, it's exactly what I do!
Oliver S wrote:I do use tabbed browsing with Firefox all the time. But I still have multiple Firefox windows open most of the time, I guess maybe up to five or so, most of them with five to ten tabs. This is the same task-oriented system, mostly.

That said, I do like mazy's idea of the workspaces - depending on how this is implemented, it might be a solution to my own troubles as well.
The mazy's idea of the workspaces should be answer to our problem:
-possibility of multiple workspaces (each could be represented by one tab)
-each workspace has own two panels with scroll bar possitions, view mode, selection
-workspaces could be persistent (you can leave/start SS and don't lose them)

If you will be interrupted in the current task, just open a new workspace/tab, solve this problem, then close temporary workspace and return to the primary task. No start/exit delay on SS startup/shutdown, no configuration conflicts...
Oliver S wrote:Sorry I don't reply faster - every second time I try to post, I find it's currenly deactivated for some reason :-)
I am sorry for technical problems with our server. We hope we will sort it out soon.

Oliver, thank you for your time...
Oliver S

Post by Oliver S »

Jan Rysavy wrote: The mazy's idea of the workspaces should be answer to our problem:
-possibility of multiple workspaces (each could be represented by one tab)
-each workspace has own two panels with scroll bar possitions, view mode, selection
-workspaces could be persistent (you can leave/start SS and don't lose them)

If you will be interrupted in the current task, just open a new workspace/tab, solve this problem, then close temporary workspace and return to the primary task. No start/exit delay on SS startup/shutdown, no configuration conflicts...
Yes, I guess... it'll take some getting used to for me, because several workspaces, of which I can see only one at a time, is not the same thing as several windows distributed over my desktop.

How about this idea: introduce the ability to open several windows (or a workspace in a new window?) from one running instance of SS. I see no need for several instances and the corresponding configuration sharing problems, as long as I still could have several windows.

Oliver
Oliver S

Post by Oliver S »

Forgot to mention, though - I love the idea of workspaces the way you describe it, apart from the multiple window thing.
mazy

Post by mazy »

Oliver S, my idea should be handy even in the case of multiple instances. it would be up to you whether to open new workspace in the tab or start new salamander and open it there ...

of course there's still the problem with configuration saving when you've multiple salamanders running. i guess that support for ini files will speed things up, though some logic how to handle these situations should be implemented too.

because the problem really is when you have more than one salamander running and then want to adjust some settings. you would have to either take care to close this instance as the last one, or export the config just to be safe. also, the other instances would still use the old configuration.

imho ini settings + using windows file / directory monitoring services could help.
therube

Post by therube »

I basically agree with Oliver S's comments.

'Save configuration on exit' is generally slow.

I'll typically open one "main" SS window. Then over time, open/close many other SS windows many times.
Closing is slow.

At the least, 'SCOE' should be disabled till only one (the last) instance of SS is open. After all, wouldn't the last closed instance overwrite all previously saved settings?

SeaMonkey (Mozilla Suite/Firefox) is one application that saves (most of) its' changes when the changes are made.
about:config changes are written immediately. Non-default settings are stored in prefs.js (or user.js).

ExplorerXP is a tabbed file manager that I find agreeable. (Not as refined as SS, but it does have its purpose, & for that reason, I am apt to have have both EXP & SS opened).