Forward slashes a path separator

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
SvA

Forward slashes a path separator

Post by SvA »

Forward slashes '/' have always been accepted by the Windows kernel. I don't know how widely it is supported, but generally it works just fine. (On the command line you usually need to quote a path containing forward slashes, and are dependent on how the called program interprets it's parameters.)
Here the first link I found related to the topic: When did Windows start accepting forward slash as a path separator?
And here is another good read about it's background: Why is the DOS path character "\"?

Salamander seems to partially accept it. I just copied such a path from a config file into Salamander's (2.54) Search window:
C:/Users/Me/Document/ resulted in a search result containing C:/Users/Me/Document/\Folder\File.ext (Note the rather uggly but otherwise functionally fine /\ part.)
The internal viewer refuses to show the file, so does Focus
With the trailing slash removed from the "Search in" box Focus works
With the first slash removed (i.e. C:\Us...) the internal viewer works

Could Salamander please handle these, and similar cases, either by supporting '/' throughout, or by transforming all path from outside of it (UI, text files, command line, ...) to the canonical format.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Forward slashes a path separator

Post by Petr Solin »

Thanks for reporting this bug. I'll fix it. I'll also try to find other places where Salamander is not working well with slashes in paths.
mhaeusser

Post by mhaeusser »

It would also be great if paths that are copied into the clipboard (Alt+Insert) used forward slashes.
I have lost so much time converting the backward slashes into forward ones.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Not a good idea. It's windows, not linux. forward slash is used in command line as a switch for parameters.
Backslash is used as a escape character. i.e. \r\n for cariage return / new line.
Anyway, the further development of Salamander is halted for the time being.