Unicode Support

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
nmccamy0551

Unicode Support

Post by nmccamy0551 »

There have been countless times I've had to rely on Windows Explorer to copy, move, delete files with filenames that were in Unicode format. Salamander displays these names as question marks and cannot do anything with them.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Unicode Support

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We plan to support Unicode, it is on our high priority to-do list.
michalq

Post by michalq »

Jan Rysavy wrote:We plan to support Unicode, it is on our high priority to-do list.
Yes I can confirm that!!! This feature request is on to-do list from 2013 (may be longer). So, the only thing we can do is waiting for few years more...

[ironic]But I want to say (as all fans of AS here) that Altap developers doing really good job.[/ironic]

The only problem is, that they does not show any progress during last year.
pencoe

Post by pencoe »

full ack: the missing Unicode support is not only annoying while copying/deleting files but also in the integrated file viewer :-(

And full ack again: this is on the to do list for a long time now (and i think should be the first new feature published with the next version)...
Andre.Ziegler

Post by Andre.Ziegler »

any progress on it?
"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why."
omega

Post by omega »

I don't think the next version will have Unicode yet, mainly bug fixes and few extra features such as High DPI support. Hope we can try out the next release by the end of this year.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Our plan is have "some" Unicode support in next AS version. We are starting with Unicode now so we cannot tell what is feasible and what not.
wrio

Post by wrio »

I can only buy Altap Salamander, when its having Unicode support. Else its not usable for me.
Please contact me then again.
KNUT

Post by KNUT »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Our plan is have "some" Unicode support in next AS version. We are starting with Unicode now so we cannot tell what is feasible and what not.
Unicode is more-and-more necessary :!: Please tell us how's your progress, Jan! :shock:
Kind regards, KNUT
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Petr is refactoring core of Altap Salamander. There are tons of low level string routines over whole code base we want to encapsulate.

I'm working on Hi-DPI support and SVG graphic assets.

We will also release Altap Salamander 3.08 in a few days.
omega

Post by omega »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Petr is refactoring core of Altap Salamander. There are tons of low level string routines over whole code base we want to encapsulate.

please release 3.08 this week :)
omega

Post by omega »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Petr is refactoring core of Altap Salamander. There are tons of low level string routines over whole code base we want to encapsulate.

A happy 2017 to the Altap team, just installed the latest version thanks for the release. Hopefully we get to see some unicode support in 3.09
Rafflez

Post by Rafflez »

omega wrote:Petr is refactoring core of Altap Salamander. There are tons of Performer 8 benefits and low level string routines over whole code base we want to encapsulate.

A happy 2017 to the Altap team, just installed the latest version thanks for the release. Hopefully we get to see some unicode support in 3.09[/quote]

Yay, unicode support would be awesome.
Last edited by Rafflez on 07 Mar 2022, 14:37, edited 5 times in total.
crystalidea

Post by crystalidea »

+1
omega

Post by omega »

Any update Jan?