Shift+click to expand Text Viewer selection

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
mdruiter

Shift+click to expand Text Viewer selection

Post by mdruiter »

To copy a part of a text document, I have to select it in one go, dragging the mouse all the way down. Other programs like browsers support Shift+click to expand an already selected region up to the clicked position. It would be great if the Salamander Text Viewer would allow that as well.
SvA

Re: Shift+click to expand Text Viewer selection

Post by SvA »

Yes, I second that. Many times I had been waiting with the mouse button pressed, until the viewer scrolled to the end or the beginning in order to select a larger portion of a document. This, however only works in fairly short documents where you can find the other end visually. In other instances I had to switch to hex view, take a note of the positions and use an external tool to copy the byte region I was interested in.

mdruiter's requst would solve many of those instances, though some others that involve using search to find the other end, still was left out and needed bookmarks, selections that are independent of search results, or some other scheme.

Yet another thing I missed many times is selecting a word by double clicking it ...
mdruiter

Post by mdruiter »

While at it, could Shift+Ctrl+End please extend the selection up till the end of the file (and Shift+Ctrl+Home from the start)? :idea:
All cursor keys used with Shift could change the selection, then I would not even need to use the mouse! Except to select the start of the selection.

Also text selection in the File Comparator plugin is not optimal.
Ether

Post by Ether »

The File Comparator has a Show caret option, which is probably what you want. Internal Viewer would benefit from this feature as well.
Ελληνικά rulez.
mdruiter

Post by mdruiter »

Show caret would indeed help before Shift+Ctrl+End etc. But Shift+click would be nice regardless.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

We have supported Shift+click to extend selection in internal viewer in text mode. We have also supported Shift+arrows, End, Home, Ctrl+Home, and Ctrl+End to extend selection. Show caret command not implemented yet, we will wait for other requests. It will be released probably this week with version 3.08.

Hint: You can also scroll the view using keyboard while dragging a block with left mouse button: try Home, End, Page Down, and Page Up, and also arrows, Ctrl+Left, and Ctrl+Right keys. I have added this hint to help. To say the true I have already forgotten that these keys work during dragging a block. I have just met it now when working on extending block with Shift key.

Double click left mouse to select whole word together with Ctrl+double click left mouse to select whole line in text mode already works. If it does not work in some configuration, please let me know.
mdruiter

Post by mdruiter »

Petr Solin wrote:We have supported Shift+click to extend selection in internal viewer in text mode. We have also supported Shift+arrows, End, Home, Ctrl+Home, and Ctrl+End to extend selection.
Thanks, I'm looking forward to it.
Petr Solin wrote:Hint: You can also scroll the view using keyboard while dragging a block with left mouse button: try Home, End, Page Down, and Page Up, and also arrows, Ctrl+Left, and Ctrl+Right keys.
Aha! That is a great tip. This functionality should be better advertised...