Verfication during/after copy/move

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

That is the main reason why we use backups...
(Do we? :D )
roman2

Post by roman2 »

We do, SelfMan, and that's actually the situation I had in mind: I back up something and would want to make sure the back up version is accurate.

By the way, I back up onto disks with write delay disabled (hot swap enabled). So, I think, verify-after-copy/move would be useful.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

The only way to be sure that the backup is ok, is to backup more often.
Backup software has the ability to check content on the binary level. (not only date and size)
If you need regular backups use a specialized software for this task.
Salamander is a file manager not a file backup software.

Still, you have the possibility to write a plugin, which utilizes features already available in salamander, for "batch" jobs.

Personally I think that the veryfiing process would be too much overhaul because:
a) if everything is ok with the hardware, the verification result will be the same
b) if the hardware is broken, the verification will fail every time because of different results

So my advice - if you want to be certain, backup more often.
roman2

Post by roman2 »

When I was looking for another external drive, I came upon a review by one user who said he'd had problems with a particular drive: many files would be corrupted. I think (or hope) some of these problems could be detected during the copy/move operations. According to him, the problem was in the enclosure he was using. Problems were intermittent.

Backing up more often is sometimes not an option (e.g. when you want to move files off to another storage).
daern

Post by daern »

zarevak wrote:Mathematically it's impossible to have your data "always safe". 8)
Ok, I agree here. All I would say is that in several years of using Salamander, it has never yet screwed up any file that I have copied or moved using it. I use it routinely within my production environment (in fact, it's deployed to over 100 servers!) and consistently find it more reliable than Windows Explorer for pretty much every action.

For me, this would be a feature that I would never use as I have 100% confidence in what AS does.