How new is your file

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
Dworkin

How new is your file

Post by Dworkin »

I am testing Servant Salamander as a possible standard file manager for our department.
At present time I am using Frigate 3.35 (unfortunately, project is dead now) file manager and there is one option that I am really missing in Salamander and like in Frigate: in Frigate all file & folders that have been created or modified from today till 7 days old are marked with '*'. The freshest files/folders have red star, 7 days old -- black start. Days in between -- colours from red to black. This feature saves a lot of time and simplify your life when you work with several project and monitoring what files and when have been updated or created.
Is it possible to implement something like this (as a plug-in?) in Salamander?

Thank you.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We have Options > Configuration > Colors where is possible to define files and directories color rules. It should be possible to add there what you are asking for.

The only problem is that other users don't ask for this feature. We are trying prioritize our work.
Dworkin

Post by Dworkin »

Jan Rysavy wrote:We have Options > Configuration > Colors where is possible to define files and directories color rules. It should be possible to add there what you are asking for.
The idea is not changing colour of the file name, but only the mark near file name.
And, by the way, "Options > Configuration > Colors" does not give you a change to change a font properties (bold, italic) for the file names. That is not good.
Jan Rysavy wrote:The only problem is that other users don't ask for this feature. We are trying prioritize our work.
By all means, you have to make prioritization. But the idea with time life mark I found only in the Frigate software, so only few people (or non) at this forum tried that.

Did you you ever tried Frigate as a competitor (sorry, now in the past) for your file manager?
There are some good ideas there.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Dworkin wrote:Did you you ever tried Frigate as a competitor (sorry, now in the past) for your file manager?
There are some good ideas there.
We tried it, as other competitors. I remember it was SLOW.
It is no longer developed?
Dworkin

Post by Dworkin »

Jan Rysavy wrote:We tried it, as other competitors. I remember it was SLOW.
It is no longer developed?
Developers of Frigate do not provide any support or bug fixing for registered users since previous summer. One of the comment at the closed Frigate forum from developers was the Frigate project is already dead.

I do not complaining about Frigate's speed, I like it functionality.
But we need a file manager product with real support for our work.
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

Dworkin wrote:But we need a file manager product with real support for our work.
From the user (my) perspective the Altap Salamander's support is perfect and Altap is typically responding very quickly to raised problems. On the other hand Salamander's development is slower then users would like it to be. This is price for the high quality of the product.

If you look through these forums you'll see the biggest missing and most asked features are UNICODE support and 64-bit support both requiring complex changes in the source code.
Dworkin

Post by Dworkin »

zarevak wrote:From the user (my) perspective the Altap Salamander's support is perfect and Altap is typically responding very quickly to raised problems. On the other hand Salamander's development is slower then users would like it to be. This is price for the high quality of the product.
If you look through these forums you'll see the biggest missing and most asked features are UNICODE support and 64-bit support both requiring complex changes in the source code.
Thank you for your good words about Altap product. I have 20 days more to test it.
Actually, I like it, but not so detailed roadmap & high price are playing against it.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Dworkin wrote:Actually, I like it, but not so detailed roadmap & high price are playing against it.
High price? Could you specify number of licenses you need? What other products are you comparing?

I'm asking because we significantly lowered price of multiple licenses during last month.
Dworkin

Post by Dworkin »

Jan Rysavy wrote:High price? Could you specify number of licenses you need? What other products are you comparing?
Altap Salamander 2.5 Including PictView Plugin & Including WinSCP Plugin -- $61.85 for 1 licence and $328.70 for 10
and there is no information if this licence is for 2.x branch only or for all future versions

Competitors are FreeCommander & muCommander, both free
Frigate was competitor, but still price is attractive ($10 via russian server)
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We do not provide lifetime licenses for Salamander. We will offer significant discount for existing users.