folder size calculate

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
lumega

folder size calculate

Post by lumega »

Step cursor on folder and press F3 (VIEW) - must calculate size of folder (with subfolders)
mANY

Post by mANY »

Why?
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Re: folder size calculate

Post by Jan Patera »

lumega wrote:Step cursor on folder and press F3 (VIEW) - must calculate size of folder (with subfolders)
In Salamander, Spacebar does this.
Tomcat

Re: folder size calculate

Post by Tomcat »

Jan Patera wrote:
lumega wrote:Step cursor on folder and press F3 (VIEW) - must calculate size of folder (with subfolders)
In Salamander, Spacebar does this.
Correct, but I think that lumega is right. F3 should do something if a folder is selected. What comes closest to "viewing" a folder? Calculating the file sizes is one candidate. Can somebody imagine a better one?
Can somebody maybe even imagine how to "edit" a folder without just changing its name (what is F2)?
Ether

Post by Ether »

+1 for making use of F3 and F4 on directories. I mean, they're unused and there surely are several functions in AS that could be more accessible, I just can't remember any.

Maybe it shouldn't be used now; there are things like tree view or info on junction/reparse points which could come handy and F3 is quite good for them IMO.
Ελληνικά rulez.
cincura.net

Post by cincura.net »

ether wrote:they're unused and there surely are several functions in AS that could be more accessible
But take into account, that shortcuts should be consistent in first place. If F3 is showing content of file, then F3 on dir should do something "similar".
Jiri {x2} Cincura
Ether

Post by Ether »

Yes, of course, that's why I proposed something like viewing info on the directory (is it a reparse/junction point? how many files does it contain? how much space does it occupy?). Even some sort of tree view could be a good analogy to viewing.

[just_fun]Or, you could just take the contents of all the files in the directory and show it all together, right? That would be literally viewing, wouldn't it? Or, to be even more precise, you could show the entry in the filetable, because directory is just a list.[/just_fun]
Ελληνικά rulez.
antp

Post by antp »

F3 & F4 could be used on folders if it was possible to associate a viewer to a folder rather than a file extension. For example, F3 on a folder could open the folder in an image viewing program, to actually "view" the folder contents.
I do not know if this would have much interest, but maybe...
Ether

Post by Ether »

antp wrote:F3 & F4 could be used on folders if it was possible to associate a viewer to a folder rather than a file extension.
@ALTAP] In fact, that is a good idea. There are some possible advantages of that implementation. Maybe you could use settings and routines from coloring (Configuration->Colors).
Ελληνικά rulez.
dhuseby

Size caomparison graph??

Post by dhuseby »

How about making use of an as yet undeveloped plugin and give a graphical representation of the folder and files...easily showing which files are taking up the most space???