VIEWER must automatic update

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
lumega

VIEWER must automatic update

Post by lumega »

Then i look some LOG file VIEWER not update it. Why?

Look at FAR.
Open some LOG file and stand in bottom, viewer automatically scroll bottom. It very useful for monitoring log files.
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Re: Internal Viewer should notice updated files

Post by Jan Patera »

lumega wrote:Then i look some LOG file VIEWER not update it. Why?

Look at FAR.
Open some LOG file and stand in bottom, viewer automatically scroll bottom. It very useful for monitoring log files.
I think this wish/request should be better described to those who don't know FAR:
When a file that is being updated by some other process is opened in the internal viewer of FAR, FAR automatically updates the file size (shown in title). Furthermore, actually what lumega is requesting for Salamander, if you scroll to the end and the file gets extended, FAR automatically scrolls down to the new end of the file -> indeed very useful for watching logs of running processes.

Re: Internal Viewer should notice updated files

Post by Guest »

Yes, that can be very useful, but it can be hard to read a file that is constantly changing. I suggest it should also be possible to prevent updates to what the viewer shows until an update is actually requested (ctrl-r). Maybe use ctlr-r to turn updates on and off, using off as default? Maybe introduce a new shortcut ctrl-s to turn scrolling down to new content on and off?
Ether

Post by Ether »

+1 for making the FAR behaviour possible in AS. I'd like it too sometimes.

+0 for making the FAR behaviour default in AS.
Ελληνικά rulez.
KNUT

wintail

Post by KNUT »

Kind regards, KNUT