Two important features

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
BackupMan

Two important features

Post by BackupMan »

In last week, I did a short presentation of Altap Salamander in my company. We are using Total Commander and nobody even heard of AS. We bought several dozen licences of Total Commander, but now I'm occupying oneself with making orders, and I think Altap Salamander is worth buying.
Employees found lack of two features which they use in AS. In Total Commander is possible to perform full text search in PDF files. We have near all documentation in PDF files, so this is very important feature for us. There is plugin for Total Commander with souce code (C++) at: http://lefteous.totalcmd.net/tc/xpdfsearch_eng.htm
Is it possible to have the same feature in AS ??

Second thing is method of local network handling in AS. When I press "shift+F7" I can change directory to \\server\share. Why I can't change directory to \\server to see shares on that server ? It is much more comfortable and faster than from drive menu. How to browse in Altap Salamander content of hidden share ?

Sorry for poor English
Ether

Post by Ether »

hidden shares] I'm not sure what you mean, but as far as I know, AS handles hidden shares the same way as the exposed ones. The only difference is that they aren't in the share listing, so you must know the name of the share.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Hidden shares i.e. \\someserver\SomeShare$ are not listed because they are not advertised but hidden. Like ether wrote, you have to know the share's name. It doesn't work the same way like hidden files or folders in the Windows file system where you can choose to show them.
BackupMan

Post by BackupMan »

@ether & SelfMan

I understand, but still I think Total Commander is better in local network handling. I can there change directory to share on one server and change server to another one by change to the parent directory. It is very effective.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Yeah the handling in this case is a bit rusty, but as a workaround you can still use the CTRL+B (in the shift+F7 dialog) and open the directory browser with network access.

Here a hint/feature for Altap:
if share name not specified then open browser with specified computer name opened/selected with listed shares.

This should not be hard to implement.
BackupMan

Post by BackupMan »

xPDFSearch source (GPL licence) is packed with SQX. I attached repacked sources with ZIP. Maybe it will help a little. To AS team: is it possible to search in PDF files in Altap Salamander ??
Attachments
xpdfsearch_1.04_source.zip
Total Commander plugin source
(800.78 KiB) Downloaded 446 times
Anteaus

Post by Anteaus »

On the network share issue I'd like to see a way to type a sharename instead of browsing, in Change Drive.

Windows' network-browsing capability is a bit iffy at the best of times, and generally not possible on Linux/samba servers, so having to rely on it is not ideal.
th.

Post by th. »

Just press Shift+F7 and enter the share name. What could be faster? :)