Copying files as zero byte files

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Copying files as zero byte files

Post by Petr Solin »

jis wrote:What I really ask you is: Why this |* mask work as work? I think that folders are only special case of files in filesystem, so how this filter really works? Does it work only as side effect of something?
Mask is applied only to files in Copy/Move operation, that's all folks. :)
jis

Post by jis »

Petr Solin wrote:
jis wrote:What I really ask you is: Why this |* mask work as work? I think that folders are only special case of files in filesystem, so how this filter really works? Does it work only as side effect of something?
Mask is applied only to files in Copy/Move operation, that's all folks. :)
Oh, this explained all, I see it now.

May I ask you: Why is mask applied only to files, what is the reason? Why aren't files and folders processed the same way, including using masks? Like in cp/mv commands in Linux.

Maybe you can add into mask hints, that masks are applied only to files.
Altap Salamander fan since 1998
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

jis wrote:May I ask you: Why is mask applied only to files, what is the reason? Why aren't files and folders processed the same way, including using masks? Like in cp/mv commands in Linux.
Most of users wanted to filter only files, so we did not complicate it with directories. If we receive some feature requests for filtering of directories, we will consider it.
jis wrote:Maybe you can add into mask hints, that masks are applied only to files.
I think that it should already be clear in current version, mask editbox is labeled as Files named.
jis

Post by jis »

Petr Solin wrote:
jis wrote:Maybe you can add into mask hints, that masks are applied only to files.
I think that it should already be clear in current version, mask editbox is labeled as Files named.
That's true - someone here is really blind and it's me! :oops:
Altap Salamander fan since 1998
gregzeng

Post by gregzeng »

COPY, MOVE can do this in SS (Servant Salamander) for as long as I can remember. Just tried it out now also on the latest freeware version (4.0).
On both COPY, MOVE, select
OPTIONS, ADVANCED, FILE SIZE, AT MOST.
The most is 1-BYTE.
This allows easy way to list zero-length files, plus SUB-DIR (folder) names.
If you do this to a whole complex drive or folder, the complete tree structure can be recorded, as is.
This tree structure can then be recreated whenever, where ever you like.
For example, my ARCHIVED-APPLICATIONS data comments etc in a DATA folder about COMPUTING. So this tree structure is replicated into my DATA-COMPUTER folder.
SS has been my best application of its kind, on any operating system.
Retired (1985) Chief Information Officer, Australian Capital Territory.