subst and moving files

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
frax

subst and moving files

Post by frax »

Hi all,

I am a long-time Salamander user, and I totally love it.

Here is a small feature request, that I think should be reasonably easy to implement...

To get to some of my folders more quickly, I use the subst command to map them to drive letters. For instance I have my "home folder" (c:\documents and settings\my username) mapped to y:\

Now Windows Explorer, and Altap Salamander - thinks that this is a different drive - which causes a problem when moving large files.

Let's say I want to move a 1GB file from c:\documents and settings\myusername to c:\ - then the move is almost instantenous. If I try to do the same from y:\ to c:\ - then it takes quite some time, since it needs to shuffle one 1GB of data from one place to the next.

This is easy to repeat and see for yourself. Any comments?
therube

Post by therube »

This idea sounds good to me.

Check if a mapped drive resolves to a local disk, & then do a rename rather then copy.

Sounds easy ;-), but then I know nothing of the programming aspects, nor if a mapped drive is treated differently where this would not be possible.
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54