salamander for Mac OS X

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
antoine

salamander for Mac OS X

Post by antoine »

Hi,

I have just migrated from Win 2 K to Mac OS. This is generally good, but it would be cool to have Salamander on Mac OS. Finder is not very sexy(for me).

Regards,

Antoine :)

Re: Salamander (and alternatives) for Mac OS X

Post by Guest »

Have you tried Xfolders or muCommander (both freeware)?
ian

Post by ian »

salamander is one of the few programs I also miss from my switch to OSX (the other being a decent music player). I very much doubt Salamander could be easily ported. I use muCommander, which is the closest I've got to Salamander for free... I still use Salamander in Parallels however :)
allan

Post by allan »

ian wrote:salamander is one of the few programs I also miss from my switch to OSX (the other being a decent music player). I very much doubt Salamander could be easily ported. I use muCommander, which is the closest I've got to Salamander for free... I still use Salamander in Parallels however :)

agreed. there is currently no filemanager tool even close to salamander on any platform.

you might also want to try running thru CrossOver. I have tried a few other aps, that works fine. couldn't get salamander to work though I got it installed and got to the initial popop (trial mode) whereafter nothing happens.

maybe if enough people would advocate for this to run thru Crossover on mac os x, we could persuade developers (CrossOver as well as Salamander)

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibilit ... pp_id=1084

./allan
ollixx77

Post by ollixx77 »

Same problem. 2008 and there is still no filemanager on MacOS which can match with Altap Salamander. Actually, there is no good filemanager at all.
Robby

Post by Robby »

I vote for a OSX port as well. Salamander would be the killer-app filemanager for OSX.

To Altap staff: The OSX market is a good one. People are much more willing to pay for software than on Windows.

Please, go for OSX.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

As there won't be a Linux version, I believe that there won't even be a OSX version either. It has been said a couple times. Altap has no resources for the *NIX based platforms.
You have to take in account how long it took to get Salamander to the state where it is now - years. Sorry...
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We are sorry, no chance for OSX or Linux port. We need to concentrate on further Windows versions of Salamander (Unicode, 64-bit, localization support, etc.)
FrantisekSvarc

Re: salamander for Mac OS X

Post by FrantisekSvarc »

After trying EVERY single file manager available on the debian distros, I found myself constantly switching between gnome-commander, krusader and midnight-commander. Simply put, none of them had a complete set of features I was used to in SS. Finally, I have installed muCommander and dropped all the others in an instant.

As a follow-up, crossover did allow me to run SS, however its performance was questionable, not to mention stability. I'm too sad to see SS get lost in the dust of today's cross-platform frenzy, but must admit that muCommander did the trick for me, personally.
SerenusZeitblom

Post by SerenusZeitblom »

Just installed Win7 with VMware on my MacBook. First program to install after that: Salamander!

Works like a charme, but ... the function keys are not doing what they supposed to do but what OS X thinks is their job.

Is there any chance to get the Fn keys working on that configuration? Can't get myself comfortable using Salamander with a mouse :-(.

TIA and Kind regards,

Franz-Josef
Ether

Post by Ether »

SerenusZeitblom wrote:Works like a charme, but ... the function keys are not doing what they supposed to do but what OS X thinks is their job.
How about http://rationalpi.wordpress.com/2007/01 ... -mac-os-x/?
Ελληνικά rulez.
camper

Post by camper »

Jan Rysavy wrote: 22 Jun 2008, 09:33 We are sorry, no chance for OSX or Linux port. We need to concentrate on further Windows versions of Salamander (Unicode, 64-bit, localization support, etc.)
Is this statement still valid? I'd pay 100 or 200 EUR to get the AS for all the systems I use, because there is no real alternative - Double Commander which comes most close is incredible slow on OS X and Linux.