Filecompare Plug-In: Use selected file by default

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
Robby

Filecompare Plug-In: Use selected file by default

Post by Robby »

Hi, when using the file-compare plug-in via a short-cut the file selection dialog should be preset with the filename from the side where the selectio bar is, and if a file with the same name exists in the other pane, than with the path to this file.

With this file comparision would be a lot faster and possible in cases where more than one file is selected.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

The File Comparator works exactly this way...

Look at "Help > Plugins > File Comparator > Using File Comparator Plugin > Comparing Files" for more information.
jis

Post by jis »

I love mighty and intelligent Salamander!
Altap Salamander fan since 1998
Robby

Post by Robby »

Jan Rysavy wrote:The File Comparator works exactly this way...

Look at "Help > Plugins > File Comparator > Using File Comparator Plugin > Comparing Files" for more information.
Hi, I should have been more precise. Here is what I do:

1. I use compare directories to find all differences.
2. Salamander highlights all files that have differences.
3. Now I want to use the file-compare plug-in, step-by-step on those files.

As there are several files hightlighted in each panel, the file-selection dialog is empty (ambiguty). Salamander should use the file where the cursor-bar is over and automatically select a file with the same name from the other panel. Not taking into acount the current highlighting state of all other filenames.
SvA

Post by SvA »

I also have thought about this before. I don't think it would break anything, at least not unless on one side exactly one file is selected.

Furthermore I have missed the ability to use the shortcut keys that are active in the command line to get the pannel's file and path information. As 'active' pannel, the pannel that relates to the curernt imput feald according to the parameters should be selected, at least unless the user did not switch back to to the main Window and selected something different.

Furthermore, when comparing directories and there's no match that would lead to filled in edit boxes on starting compare, would you consider to fill in the panel's curent paths instead?

And one more thing. I had been missing the ability to swap the contents of the two edit fields, especialy with two selected files from the same panel.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Unfortunately, it would works for three (and more) selected files.
With two selected files in one panel we must bring these two files.

Btw, in this case it is possible to use Edit > Advanced > Hide Unselected Names, then Unselect All.

Another solution will be the Synchronize command (not implemented yet).