PictView auto rotate on JPG

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
cincura.net

PictView auto rotate on JPG

Post by cincura.net »

Hi *,

some JPEGs containing in EXIF info about rotation/orientation (i.e. photos from my Nikon D70). I think, it would be nice to implement auto rotation into the PictView. If Jan Patera want, I can send some test pictures and help with it.
Jiri {x2} Cincura
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Re: PictView auto rotate on JPG

Post by Jan Patera »

Rotation takes some time. At the moment we prefer display-on-the-fly before entire image is decompressed. This is why we haven't rushed with implementing the requested feature. Auto rotate would either delay display or make the image flash first unrotated and then rotated.

However, we will revisit this resolution for Rel2.5 as faster computers are more common nowadays. Definitely, users will be able to turn this feature off.
cincura.net

Post by cincura.net »

Jan Patera wrote:However, we will revisit this resolution for Rel2.5 as faster computers are more common nowadays. Definitely, users will be able to turn this feature off.
Yes, I was taalking about option not about hard coded feature. If user will turn on this option, he have to know that displaying can be slower.
Jiri {x2} Cincura
Georg

Post by Georg »

Jan Patera wrote:Rotation takes some time. At the moment we prefer display-on-the-fly before entire image is decompressed.
Hm, this is quite THE reason not to use the internal viewer too often... XnView caches prev+next image thus the new image can be shown rotated without too much delay. In case someone presses space/backspace too quickly (so before rotation is done) the raw image (has already to be in memory for rotation) may be displayed. Do you thing this way is easier to go?
jis

Post by jis »

Georg wrote:
Jan Patera wrote:Rotation takes some time. At the moment we prefer display-on-the-fly before entire image is decompressed.
Hm, this is quite THE reason not to use the internal viewer too often... XnView caches prev+next image thus the new image can be shown rotated without too much delay. In case someone presses space/backspace too quickly (so before rotation is done) the raw image (has already to be in memory for rotation) may be displayed. Do you thing this way is easier to go?
Advance / Backward Caching and option for the rotating according to EXIF info - these are two things what we need, please, please :)
Altap Salamander fan since 1998
jis

Post by jis »

jis wrote:Advance / Backward Caching and option for the rotating according to EXIF info - these are two things what we need, please, please :)
EXIF Auto Rotation will be implemented in version Altap Salamander 2.52 beta 1 (see http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?t=2813).
And what about Advance / Backward Caching?
Altap Salamander fan since 1998
Eva Eden~

Post by Eva Eden~ »

Hello guys,

how's about the rotation feature in thumbnail view mode? This is the only one using of WinExplorer (kontext menu|rotate...) from my side. Why doesn't AS support it?

Tx, Eva~