Quick search mode: improvements

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
drumut

Quick search mode: improvements

Post by drumut »

i use text viewer for .nfo files, recently i tried to open a .nfo file which was encoded UTF-8, but i couldnt see some chars properly. Could you add UTF-8 encoding to viewer's convert menu.
In addition OEM-ANSI conversion is brilliant thanks for that feature. :)

I dont wanna duplicate post there is another issue about searching in a directory.

For example:

I have six files which start "s" letter in same directory. when i am in that directory , I type "s" from keyboard and i go that file among others but when i press "s" two times it couldnt jump to other file (second file which start "s" letter too), it looks for second x in first file.

On the other hand that is not a bug or something like that,i can understand that, if it find first file which begin "s" letter, second will be located under the first one. :)
konelupy

Post by konelupy »

In case You want search next file with "s.." pres Down or Up key
second s find "ss.."
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: viewer : more encoding

Post by Jan Rysavy »

drumut wrote:I dont wanna duplicate post there is another issue about searching in a directory.
Please look at Forum Rules: http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?t=55
(Post one bug report, feature request, or suggestion per report.)
drumut

Post by drumut »

konelupy wrote:In case You want search next file with "s.." pres Down or Up key
second s find "ss.."
that can work if files are same type
In contrast if you have two files and one of them is a folder and the other is an .exe
you cant use down key or up key.
Jan Rysavy wrote:
drumut wrote:I dont wanna duplicate post there is another issue about searching in a directory.
Please look at Forum Rules: http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?t=55
(Post one bug report, feature request, or suggestion per report.)
done :)
omega

Post by omega »

It works here pressing the up/down key with different types of extensions.
SvA

Post by SvA »

Hi drumut

From your initial post (last paragraph) I am unsure whether your request was for an incremental filter, though the preceding paragraph seems to suggest a search feature like the one in Windows Explorer.

This, and your reply to konelupy's suggestion shows that you are unaware of Servant Salamanders quick seearch feature, which is much easyer, more intuitive and more versatile than Explorers quick search.

There is a brief description of the feature on Altap's web site. There's a more comprehensive one in the help file that comes with Servant Salamander v2.0, though it is missing the \-wildcard feature.

I suggest you learn about Salamander's working to use it's power for your benefit.
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

Quick Search certainly is a powerful mechanism. But sometimes I miss the WinEx style for cycling thru files/directories as there is nothing faster but pressing the same key repeatedly. In addition the \-wildcard is not really intuitive and also hard to press on some keyboards (on a German keyboard you have to press AltGr and a second key next to Backspace). I am not able to press Backslash without looking at the keyboard whereas my fingert ale ady know where to find the letters.
So if I would like to select the third directory out of ten that are named "Project1", "Project2" and so on, pressing P,P,P is much faster than P, Backslash,3.

Here an idea how to get the best out of both worlds: Pressing the same letter agais:cored move to the next occurence with the same start instead of looking for the same character at the next position. Well, this may need some examples.

Take this directory list
ABA
ABC
ABD
BBB
BCC

Pressing A,A,A would select ABD (plain WinEx mode activated by consecutive As)
A,B,D would select ABD (plain SS mode)
A,B,B would select ABC (second B activates WinEx mode at cursor position, dumb WinEx would select BCC)

Now the downside:
Pressing B,B creates a conflict between WinEx and SS mode. I thinkt that in this case SS mode should be used to not confuse experienced SS users (secectung BBB) or an option should be added, what mode should take precedence.

p.s.: Dear moderator, could you please change the topic to "Navigating with keystrokes" or something like that (or make a copy and rename)? I had a hard time to find this thread again to add my post.
konelupy

Post by konelupy »

For A,B,D i prefer A and 2xdown (up) key.
I often use Ctrl+F5 sorting and in this case when A,B,D is in upper position
and you press a,a,a what you get ? what use for back moving shift a ?
jis

Post by jis »

Tomcat wrote:In addition the \-wildcard is not really intuitive and also hard to press on some keyboards (on a German keyboard you have to press AltGr and a second key next to Backspace). I am not able to press Backslash without looking at the keyboard whereas my fingers already know where to find the letters.
Try / instead \.
Altap Salamander fan since 1998
AbteriX

Post by AbteriX »

jis wrote:
Tomcat wrote:In addition the \-wildcard is not really intuitive and also hard to press on some keyboards (on a German keyboard you have to press AltGr and a second key next to Backspace). I am not able to press Backslash without looking at the keyboard whereas my fingers already know where to find the letters.
Try / instead \.
That's not really better on an german keyboard :D
http://carbon.cudenver.edu/~tphillip/ge ... oard-a.jpg
http://www.fingertipsoft.com/kbd/german.gif

And it didn't works with '/' (EDIT: Wrong, it do! See SvA's post for better knowledging :D)
Last edited by AbteriX on 11 Aug 2006, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
AbteriX
AbteriX

Post by AbteriX »

> For A,B,D in you example i prefer A and 2xdown (up) key.
Me too.

But an improvement
to jump to next item starts with {TOKEN}
if no {TOKEN}{TOKEN} item is found
whould be worth to think about.

1.) Pressing 'a' first time jumps to 'Aa'
2.) Pressing 'a' second time jumps to 'Aa'
3.) Pressing 'a' third time jumps to 'Ab'
4.) Pressing 'c' then should jump to 'C' instead of stopping.
Aa
Ab
Anton
Berta
C
AbteriX
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

drumut wrote:
konelupy wrote:In case You want search next file with "s.." pres Down or Up key
second s find "ss.."
that can work if files are same type
In contrast if you have two files and one of them is a folder and the other is an .exe
you cant use down key or up key.
It is not a true. You can go between files and directories during quick search.
Tomcat wrote:So if I would like to select the third directory out of ten that are named "Project1", "Project2" and so on, pressing P,P,P is much faster than P, Backslash,3.
So in this case press P, Down, Down instead of P, P, P. Or press P, End and you will be even faster...
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

AbteriX wrote:> For A,B,D in you example i prefer A and 2xdown (up) key.
Me too.
Me not. I rarely look at the keyboard w In arping. As I said, my fingers know where the letters are. To press DOWN I have to lift my right hand, look at the DOWN key, move my hand over and press it, move the hand back and look back at the screen. If I could press A, A, A instead I could continue to look at the display. Even though it is the same number of keystrokes it takes me much longer to press them.
This is certainly not an issue if looking for just one file, but I would like to use the keyboard to quickly navigate in directory structures what involves lots of keystrokes.
AbteriX wrote:> But an improvement
to jump to next item starts with {TOKEN}
if no {TOKEN}{TOKEN} item is found
whould be worth to think about.

1.) Pressing 'a' first time jumps to 'Aa'
2.) Pressing 'a' second time jumps to 'Aa'
3.) Pressing 'a' third time jumps to 'Ab'
4.) Pressing 'c' then should jump to 'C' instead of stopping.
Aa
Ab
Anton
Berta
C
Yep, I fully agree. Quick Search should behave as now, but different from now it should do something useful if there is no match for the last keystroke. Jumping to the next file/dir starting with that key is what I am looking for.
jis

Post by jis »

AbteriX wrote:And it didn't works with '/'
Strange, it actually works on US or Czech keyboard.
Altap Salamander fan since 1998
SvA

Post by SvA »

jis wrote:
AbteriX wrote:And it didn't works with '/'
Strange, it actually works on US or Czech keyboard.
It works on a German keyboard too, you have to swich off Options > Configuration > Panels > Use shift+number for go to Hot Path option, though ( '/' is Shift+7 on a German keyboard).