FTP Configuration: Combine the two keep-alive options

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
Georgd

FTP Configuration: Combine the two keep-alive options

Post by Georgd »

Hi *,

I was a little confused today: after some 300secs the connection was closed even though "FTP Configuration - Defaults" showed me "send NOOP" and "stop sending after 30 minutes" for keeping connection alive. After having a more detailed look, I found that "FTP Configuration - advanced" said "cancel data connection if it is idele for 300 seconds".

For users it is not obvious a) that both fields exist b) which of the two is dominant and c) what's the exact difference between them. From my point of view, the connection is not idle when NOOPs are send (!), so the connection shall not close down after 300secs but 30mins. Obviously the programmer thought different...

Please do somehow link both fields to each other. At least a hint in the lable, better show the value of the other field or something like that.

Thanks, Georg
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

The advanced option "Cancel data connection if it is idle for 300 seconds" is used only when downloading directory listing, uploading file or downloading file. It helps in situations when server refuses to send/receive data without any known reason.

Keep alive feature is independent on this advaced option. I guess that your server closes connection "if no data transfer in 300 seconds". So use NLST or LIST keep alive command (both with data transfer) instead of NOOP (menu Plugins / FTP Client / Connect to FTP Server, then click button Advanced) and I belive you will be satisfied.
Georgd

Post by Georgd »

Petr Solin wrote:The advanced option "Cancel data connection if it is idle for 300 seconds" is used only when downloading directory listing, uploading file or downloading file.
Ah, okay, now I understand. I guess the coming help will contain that information.
Petr Solin wrote:I guess that your server closes connection "if no data transfer in 300 seconds". So use NLST or LIST keep alive command (both with data transfer) instead of NOOP (menu Plugins / FTP Client / Connect to FTP Server, then click button Advanced) and I belive you will be satisfied.
Thank you for the hint, that works :-) Georg