copy to multiple medias

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
ollixx77

copy to multiple medias

Post by ollixx77 »

I have to backup 6 GB on DVD-RAM.
When the first DVD is full I get Error 112 (Not enough space).
So I change the media, now I click <Retry> to resume copy, but I get error 3 (Could not find path).

How can I get all data to DVD, without splitting them manually?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

It is not possible to split files during Copy operation (SS 2.5 RC1).

Moving thread to the Feature Requests.
ollixx77

Post by ollixx77 »

I don't want or need to split files, because they are very small. I just want to distribute my files on two or more CDs.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

You can use for example the ZIP plugin to split files to multiple media.
Use the Pack command (Alt+F5) and choose the ZIP plugin.
Then set the "Create multi-volume archive" option.
ollixx77

Post by ollixx77 »

Sorry, the single files are already compressed.

So let me repeat last time:
It is not possible to copy files to DVD. And when media is full, resume with a new media. (Including the last file which doesn't fit on the previous DVD)
Splitting is not necessary and wanted, because what will happen to splitted files when restoring data?

By the way, Totalcommander does it, and the good old Nortoncommander has done it, too.
SvA

Post by SvA »

How do you write to your DVD? Salamander is not able to do this. Which software are you using and what makes you think it is the fault of Servant Salamander and not the one of your DVD writer software?

You claim, TC can do it. Have you tried? You further claim, NC had done it. Are you talking about the original DOS version of it? Has that version even ever got to know what a DVD is.

On the other hand, I tried this scenario with copying to diskettes. When the first diskett was full and I got the message that copying failed, I changed the diskette and pressed retry. The error message box disappeared and the copy progress bars were displayed again, but neither did Salamander copy any files to the second disk, nor did Salamander (or the OS) display any error message.
ollixx77

Post by ollixx77 »

I'm using UDF driver to write to the DVD-RAM which lets every application write to the DVD like to an harddisk.
But it's the same problem as with floppy disks, you mentioned. Writing just files without subdirectories goes well, but when you try to write with, you'll get the same error.
Seems that salamander doesn't creates on the new disk the missing subdirectory.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Your solution is very dangerous because unfinished file remains on the first medium when you remove it.

The current Servant Salamander "Copy" command is not intended for such use (dividing directory tree to multiple media).

The Total Commander 6.53 looks even worse, there is only Skip/Cancel button (when first medium is full) and the Retry button is missing, so I have no idea how you could use it for this purpose.
ollixx77

Post by ollixx77 »

Seems that the good old WinCommander 4.0 it can.
But its true, that TotalCommander 6 is not able to do it.