Information line: File size display in short format

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
Josip Tosic

Information line: File size display in short format

Post by Josip Tosic »

Hi,
nothing major but the file size of selected directories/files in information line does not conform to Panels/Show sizes setting. I really don't care to know the exact byte count, so I use short format and information line displays sizes in bytes.

I don't think there's an option to configure this, but I'm new to Servant Salamander so I might've missed it. [Looking through registry...]

Sorry for posting so much on my first day, y'all. I'm seriously considering switching from Total Commander so I'd like to help as much with testing and suggestion of new (hopefully) useful features.
Josip Tosic - the Learned, Impartial and Very Relaxed
.me

Re: Information line: File size display in short format

Post by .me »

Josip Tosic wrote:Hi,
nothing major but the file size of selected directories/files in information line does not conform to Panels/Show sizes setting. I really don't care to know the exact byte count, so I use short format and information line displays sizes in bytes.
What exactly is the problem?
Do you need a shorter information line because your monitor is too small?
try this at Configuration>Appearance>Conten of Information Line:
$(FileSize) | $(FileName:8)... | $(FileDate)@$(FileTime) | $(FileAttributes)
(o.O) -(@.@)- (/o.O\) ,,,`Q´,,, {~.~} (^.^)
Josip Tosic

Post by Josip Tosic »

Yes, well, maybe I wasn't clear enough in my first post...

I've selected "In short format (for example 15 B, 3.41 KB, or 12.5 MB)" option in "Panels" configuration since I prefer to see sizes in kB/MB/GB rather than in bytes. I'd rather have my file manager display 702 MB than 736 100.352 bytes.

So... what I was saying was that if I select to view shortened file size format in panels, it would be nice if the information line also displayed the size of selected directories/files in shortened format.

Verra useful when you're burning files on a CD/DVD. I press Ctrl+Shift+F10 and pick and choose directories that'll take the most advantage of media capacity.
Josip Tosic - the Learned, Impartial and Very Relaxed
vygi

Post by vygi »

+1

I mean, I vote for this feature as well!
Sometimes I need to know how much kilobytes or megabyte one file of a file selection is, and that is not easy in Salamander as 1.000.000 bytes aren't one MB.
omega

Post by omega »

content information line only display selected file(s) in bytes.
What Josip wants is customizable size display, like KB/MB/GB

If you select files + dirs you won't be able to see the total size of the selection. It will only show you how many files/dirs are selected.
You will need to right click on it and select properties if you want to see the size. I guess that's what Josip wants as well.
.me

Post by .me »

omega wrote:content information line only display selected file(s) in bytes.
What Josip wants is customizable size display, like KB/MB/GB...
... I guess that's what Josip wants as well.
Why not display 1.000.000 byte as 1MB? This would be much more usefull.
(o.O) -(@.@)- (/o.O\) ,,,`Q´,,, {~.~} (^.^)
omega

Post by omega »

Wrong, 1.000.000 bytes isn't 1 MB.
But yeah i would like to vote for "KB/MB/GB" display in the content information line as well.
bebe

Post by bebe »

omega wrote:Wrong, 1.000.000 bytes isn't 1 MB.
But yeah i would like to vote for "KB/MB/GB" display in the content information line as well.
1.000.000B is exactly 1MB, you're probably referring to something what's defined as mebibyte (2^20 = 1 MiB), but not really used. Here's something which might help to understand the difference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megabyte.

But, if there'll be any sort of shortened version of size notation (information line or anywhere else), I'd like to keep the non-shortened version as an option.
omega

Post by omega »

the definition of the link says: A megabyte is a unit of information or computer storage equal to approximately one million bytes. Which means not exactly a million.

Just check the property of a file (choose a file smaller than 1 MB) it shows you the size in .. KB (...bytes). A very simple calculation shows the amount of bytes / .. KB is not equal 1000
bebe

Post by bebe »

I don't want to argue on that, but I ment latter part of the article:
1,000,000 bytes (1000^2, 10^6): This is the definition recommended by IEC. It is used primarily in networking contexts and most storage media, particularly hard drives and DVDs.
grymmjack

Post by grymmjack »

omega wrote:content information line only display selected file(s) in bytes.
What Josip wants is customizable size display, like KB/MB/GB

If you select files + dirs you won't be able to see the total size of the selection. It will only show you how many files/dirs are selected.
You will need to right click on it and select properties if you want to see the size. I guess that's what Josip wants as well.
I think he's asking for it. I use the spacebar on directories, and alt+F10 feature alot myself (for the same reason he mentioned).
omega

Post by omega »

cool didn't know it could display the size of dir by pressing the spacebar.
btw the right mouse option and properties takes too long. Press ALT+Enter is much faster.

Thanks for the tip grymmjack ALT+F10
invid

Post by invid »

yeah, being able to view folder sizes in MB or GB would be great!!!

Re: Information line: File size display in short format

Post by Guest »

+1
.me wrote:Do you need a shorter information line because your monitor is too small?
try this at Configuration>Appearance>Conten of Information Line:
$(FileSize) | $(FileName:8)... | $(FileDate)@$(FileTime) | $(FileAttributes)
My monitor isn't that small, but rather I use Salamander not maximized ;) and/or use portrait mode. Moreover, the use of "logarithmic scale" allows to get the size way quicker than lengthy byte numbers.

The Information Line may obey my setting "in short format (for example 1 B, 3,41 KB.." in Configuration>Panels>Show sizes or (IMHO better) Configuration>Appearance>Content of Information Line shall offer not only $(FileSize) but also $(FileSizeShortFormat).

Tiny change, much more convinient :)