File list vs. copy name as text

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
Josip Tosic

File list vs. copy name as text

Post by Josip Tosic »

Hi,
I really don't see the need for two features that, more or less, can be used to do the same thing. Copy name as text is a stripped down version of File list feature that only copies one selected file wich makes it not all that useful.

I understand the need to quickly copy a filename (with or without path) to the clipboard - hell, I use it all the time - but it would be much nicer if it'd copy all selected files to clipboard as well.

Or simply do away with it as it's misleading Total Commander switchers. :)
Josip Tosic - the Learned, Impartial and Very Relaxed
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Quick Rename, View, Edit, Copy * as Text, Open focused file (Enter) commands works with the focused file or directory (ignoring the current selection). You might find this behavior useful when you want to select several files by viewing (View, Edit) or opening (Enter, Copy Path + Name as Text) them.

:idea: You can use the Commands > Advanced > Save Selection command to store list of selected names to the clipboard. Use the Load Selection command to select/unselect names stored on the clipboard. For more complex needs use the Commands > Make File List command.
Josip Tosic

Post by Josip Tosic »

I guess if you were to select a lot of files for viewing and only wanted to copy the one you were viewing last to clipboard, Alt+Insert would be useful... Anyway, it's there, I'll use it, or not. Just wondered if I got this behavior wrong.

Load/save selection is a life savior when you need to copy files to users over network. You send 'em a list of directories and have 'em remove stuff they don't want then load selection out of what's left in the list.

Thanks for a speedy reply, Jan.
Josip Tosic - the Learned, Impartial and Very Relaxed
vygi

Post by vygi »

I think that "Microsoft Power Toys" can add "copy file name to clipboard" entry to the right-click menu. I had it on my old office PC and that was very handy, eg. to send by mail a link to the file on the local network.