AS 3.0 PB103 - Network copy speed

Try the latest development release to test new features and bug fixes even before beta version release. Please use this section to discuss features and problems of this Preview Build version.
Forum rules
Please read forum rules and a few additional rules for this section:
1. Please take into account that Preview Build versions of Salamander and plugins could contain serious bugs. Don't use them in production environments.
2. All problems or comments regarding Preview Build versions please insert into this section of forum.
3. Each new topic mark with PB abbreviation and Preview Build number, for example "PB22: inactive panel below mouse cursor doesn't scroll while mouse wheel tilting".
thomas
Translator
Translator

AS 3.0 PB103 - Network copy speed

Post by thomas »

Test System:
Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit 12GB RAM / 1 GBit Lan / AS 3.0 PB103 x64
Windows XP SP3 32 Bit 2GB RAM / 1 GBit Lan
ASUS Router RT-N56U 1GBit / 1GBit Switch

I've tested the new asynchronous algorithm, but this doesn't help really.
For the first seconds it is fast, but then it is slow like earlier versions.

Salamander 3.0 PB103 x64:

Windows 8 x64 (computer) / Windows XP x86 (remote computer)
remote computer to computer = copy speed of a 100 MB file: 5~6 MB/s

Windows Explorer x64:

Windows 8 x64 (computer) / Windows XP x86 (remote computer)
remote computer to computer = copy speed of a 100 MB file: 29 MB/s
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: AS 3.0 PB103 - Network copy speed

Post by Petr Solin »

Unfortunately I have no machine with XP here to make tests.

If you would like to help us with it, please download Process Monitor, add filter: Process Name is not explorer.exe = Exclude, in toolbar turn on only Show File System Activity, prepare copy operation in Explorer and just before you start it, click Capture button in Process Monitor to start capturing, when copy is finished, click Capture button again. Then go to menu File, choose Save, and send me this file to my email, I expect it to be big, so please pack it.

Then you can do the same for salamand.exe instead of explorer.exe to monitor Salamander's actions during copying, and send me the file again. I can try to find out what is the difference, why Explorer is faster then Salamander.

Thanks for information even if you don't want to experiment with Process Monitor. ;-)
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

Many thanks to Thomas for tests in Process Monitor he has made for us. Unfortunately it does not lead to clear solution, we can speed up only to 50% of Explorer's speed. So we have decided not to change anything now. Another argument for ignoring this problem is that Windows XP is becoming history.
therube

Post by therube »

(
> Windows XP is becoming history.

And in whose humble opinion is that ;-).
But really, I have no intention of replacing XP on any machines where it now exists.
<just saying, & unrelated to this thread>
)

To be clear, this particular issue is only affecting Win8 <--> XP?
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

I believe it also affects copying when Salamander runs on Windows 7 and network drive is on XP machine.

When Salamander is running on Vista or XP, it is using original algorithm, not new asynchronous one (because it does not work quickly on older systems).
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

therube wrote:(
> Windows XP is becoming history.

And in whose humble opinion is that ;-).
You must have missed the info that MS is ending the WinXP support in April 2014. There won't be any update available anymore.
(not that it wont be able to run.. it just gets dangerous to run it on internet.)
therube

Post by therube »

(no, I'm well aware of the situation)
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54