PB79: Deletion of files fails due to insufficient space

Try the latest development release to test new features and bug fixes even before beta version release. Please use this section to discuss features and problems of this Preview Build version.
Forum rules
Please read forum rules and a few additional rules for this section:
1. Please take into account that Preview Build versions of Salamander and plugins could contain serious bugs. Don't use them in production environments.
2. All problems or comments regarding Preview Build versions please insert into this section of forum.
3. Each new topic mark with PB abbreviation and Preview Build number, for example "PB22: inactive panel below mouse cursor doesn't scroll while mouse wheel tilting".
crenz

PB79: Deletion of files fails due to insufficient space

Post by crenz »

Hi, I'm using PB79 on a Win7 x64 system. I'm encountering a strange issue: When trying to delete a file using [F8] or [Del], I first get the standard Explorer prompt "Are you sure you want to move ... to the recycle bin?'. Upon acknowledging it, deletion fails, with the following message:

The file '...' is too large for the destination file system.

If I delete the file using [Shift+Del], it immediately gets deleted. Deleting files (and moving to the trash) works fine in Explorer, it is just an issue in Altap Salamander.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: PB79: Deletion of files fails due to insufficient space

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Hello, could you please test Altap Salamander 2.54 with the same procedure?
crenz

Post by crenz »

I tested it with 2.54, and the error does not appear.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

I would like to please you for one more test, try the same Delete operation with PB79 x86 version. It should be the same as Salamander 2.54. It seems as problem only with x64 version, please confirm it.
crenz

Post by crenz »

Petr, I tried the 32 bit version of PB79. Deletion works fine, just like with 2.54. So it seems to be a 64 bit issue.
crenz

Post by crenz »

Petr, I tried the 32 bit version of PB79. Deletion works fine, just like with 2.54. So it seems to be a 64 bit issue.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

I have Win7 x64 at home and Salamander x64 seems to work well here. I can send files to Recycle Bin and then Restore them to original position.

Do you have some idea what is special in your case? E.g., Do you have full Recycle Bin? Or do you delete big files? (What is the file size of deleted file?)

Does anyone has the same problem with Recycle Bin and x64 Salamander?
jcgriff2

Post by jcgriff2 »

No problems here with PB79 on Windows 7 x64.

I routinely delete Windows ISOs that exceed 4 GB.
J. C. Griffith
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - IT Pro
http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/John%20C.%20Griffith-4025562
crenz

Post by crenz »

No idea what is special here. The size of the file does not matter - any file deletion fails (e.g. files at only a few hundred bytes also). Trash is definitely not full. I am using Truecrypt, but even on the non-Truecrypt system volume, it reacts the same way.
Ether

Post by Ether »

Could you provide a Process Monitor dump of the failed deletion?
Ελληνικά rulez.
crenz

Post by crenz »

Hi ether, I created a Process Monitor dump using the newest public beta. Interestingly enough, it seems a buffer overflow occurs during QuerySecurityFile (on the recycle bin folder).
Attachments
Logfile.zip
PM dump
(234.88 KiB) Downloaded 635 times
Ether

Post by Ether »

From my experience, BUFFER OVERFLOWs happen all the time with no negative effect (IMHO this is a just a return code and not an actual buffer overflow error and I guess the routine just retries the same operation with a larger buffer). I was going to say the INVALID DEVICE REQUESTs are a lot more interesting, but apparently they happen with my AS v2.54, too.

So the only clue is that Salamander marks the file for deletion (SetDispositionInformationFile - Delete: True) and immediately reverts the decision (SetDispositionInformationFile - Delete: False). I would like the developers to take a look at the relevant stack traces.

Also, to be on the safe side, could you try deleting again after disabling as many third-party overlays, or even whole shell extensions - using ShellExView (download the version with the correct bitness and verify that you're, in fact, looking at the 64-bit extension; I remember there being a catch) as possible?
Ελληνικά rulez.
crenz

Post by crenz »

Hi Ether, I tried to disable as many Shell extensions as possible, using ShellExView, but am still encountering the same problem.