PB79: Registry create value

Try the latest development release to test new features and bug fixes even before beta version release. Please use this section to discuss features and problems of this Preview Build version.
Forum rules
Please read forum rules and a few additional rules for this section:
1. Please take into account that Preview Build versions of Salamander and plugins could contain serious bugs. Don't use them in production environments.
2. All problems or comments regarding Preview Build versions please insert into this section of forum.
3. Each new topic mark with PB abbreviation and Preview Build number, for example "PB22: inactive panel below mouse cursor doesn't scroll while mouse wheel tilting".
SvA

PB79: Registry create value

Post by SvA »

Was using the registry plugin on a Vista 32-bit system.
Wanted to create a string value named "c:\windows\regedit.exe" (without the quotation marks) in reg:\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers.

Got the following error message:

Code: Select all

Paths to other file systems are not supported here.
I was puzzled...

but then tried to leave out the colon for a try:

Unable to create the new value: Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.
(The system cannot find the specified file)

I then created the value with a short dummy name and renamed it to the desired name without any problem.

Both error messages are total nonsense.
SvA

Re: PB79: Registry create value

Post by SvA »

After this I tried to export the key. Salamander froze, waiting for regedit.exe to finish the export, which never happened. After I killed regedit (no UI was shown) I got the following message (modal to Salamander):

---------------------------
Registry Editor - Error
There was an error while exporting registry data.Das System kann den angegebenen Pfad nicht finden.

[OK]
This time, the error message is probably right (the given path pointed to the wrong disk), but the freeze is not acceptable.

Edit: You might be better off using reg.exe for the export, rather than regedit. It works differently concerning UAC and, since it is a command line tool, is better suited for 'scripting'.
Ether

Post by Ether »

SvA wrote:You might be better off using reg.exe for the export, rather than regedit. It works differently concerning UAC and, since it is a command line tool, is better suited for 'scripting'.
I concur. Since I switched to Win7, I have to export everything from command line. Also, it seems that integrating reg.exe instead of regedit.exe should be fairly simple.
Ελληνικά rulez.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

OK, fixed. Plugin is now calling regedit.exe for W2K and reg.exe for WinXP+.