PB 79: Unicode file names?

Try the latest development release to test new features and bug fixes even before beta version release. Please use this section to discuss features and problems of this Preview Build version.
Forum rules
Please read forum rules and a few additional rules for this section:
1. Please take into account that Preview Build versions of Salamander and plugins could contain serious bugs. Don't use them in production environments.
2. All problems or comments regarding Preview Build versions please insert into this section of forum.
3. Each new topic mark with PB abbreviation and Preview Build number, for example "PB22: inactive panel below mouse cursor doesn't scroll while mouse wheel tilting".
crystalidea

PB 79: Unicode file names?

Post by crystalidea »

The program displays ? on some characters (mp4 file), when I press on the file nothing happens.
Windows Explorer displays the name correctly and launches the default opening program.
SelfMan

Re: PB 79: Unicode file names?

Post by SelfMan »

I don't want to be rude, but seeing that you posted so many times here already and you are still not knowing that Salamaner has no Unicode support yet, is just unproductive and you are wasting your and our time. Unicode is on the road map, but the x64 and UAC support have to be completed first. Please, next time try the search field before you post.
crystalidea

Post by crystalidea »

I thought that Unicode is for 3.0 (cannot imagine a file manager without unicode in 2012)
It was very important for me for 3.0.. :(
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

You are not alone who is waiting for the unicode support. But as for now the last info is "it won't happen in the 3.0 version.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Unfortunately there will not be Unicode support in AS 3.0. Not a chance to release version with Unicode this year.
We will try to support UAC and finish x64 translation (for example x64 PictView plugin is missing).
crystalidea

Post by crystalidea »

Thanks for the answer, Jan.
I'll keep waiting
Eric

Post by Eric »

XPiS wrote:I'll keep waiting
Yeah, strangely the people voted for X64 / UAC support.
I didn't get it, AS 2.5 works perfectly with Win64, UAC is only a small problem.
I have much bigger, daily problems with Unicode.

But sadly we need to wait a least one year for unicode support.
Ony reason that I didn't switch to another file manager long time ago,
is the UI/Quality of AS.

Still hoping for a miracle.
And I think I will stay with AS 2.54 and not pay the upgrade price, because AS 3 doesn't give me a value :shock: .

Eric
Win2012, Win7, Win8 and Win8.1 x64 (german and english) | AS 3.0 beta 4 (x64)
nocturneop15

Post by nocturneop15 »

Eric wrote:
XPiS wrote:I'll keep waiting
And I think I will stay with AS 2.54 and not pay the upgrade price, because AS 3 doesn't give me a value
My words. I'm guessing why developers are promising this feature for many years, but still are not able to complete this essential feature. How could we call Salamander "file manager" if it is unable to handle files from half of the world?
crystalidea

Post by crystalidea »

absolutely
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We are looking forward to the Unicode support. I hope we will have enough resources after Altap Salamander 3.0 release to start Unicode conversion immediately. It will be task for several months, we are talking about refactoring of 25MB source code.
nocturneop15

Post by nocturneop15 »

Let me remind that it was "task for several months" few years ago. So, is there any REAL view of time needed for such conversion?
If that will be promised for another years, it's maybe better to start develop my own file manager, cause chinese and russian business is growing any I've got more and more unicode-named files...
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

There is not a chance to implement all features from our to-do list. Now we have support for language translations, x64 support, we have refactored Salamander source code for Visual C++ 2008/2010/2012. PictView plugin is working in the x64 version, we are working on UAC support. Unicode is just another major feature/refactoring we plan to deliver.

Do not hesitate and write you own file manager, 25MB of source code is a peace of cake :) Hint: choose Total Commander way - much smaller code base with nearly non existing error handling :wink:

I'm locking this thread, thank you for understanding.