Which features?

Try the latest development release to test new features and bug fixes even before beta version release. Please use this section to discuss features and problems of this Preview Build version.
Forum rules
Please read forum rules and a few additional rules for this section:
1. Please take into account that Preview Build versions of Salamander and plugins could contain serious bugs. Don't use them in production environments.
2. All problems or comments regarding Preview Build versions please insert into this section of forum.
3. Each new topic mark with PB abbreviation and Preview Build number, for example "PB22: inactive panel below mouse cursor doesn't scroll while mouse wheel tilting".
KNUT

Which features?

Post by KNUT »

As mentioned on http://www.altap.cz/salamander/roadmap/, the final version of Altap Salamander 3.0 will contain these features:
* Switch to Microsoft Visual C++ 2008/2010/11
* Speed up file copy operations on fast networks
* Both 32 and 64 bit versions to bypass WOW64 limitations
* New language translations
Is this still right? If yes, I think I don't need a new version :o .
I'm strongly looking forward to Unicode support! :shock:
Kind regards, KNUT
ALTAP Staff

Re: Which features?

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Unicode will definitely not happen in the 3.0 version.

We can maybe implement some small patches such as Windows 7 GUI improvements and old and new problem fixes. I would also like to investigate the UAC support (unfortunately it is not exactly small patch).

Unicode support means another source code refactoring (we recently did two: switch from VC 6 to VC 2008/2010/11, and x64 support). It will take several months of work and another months of beta testing.
Evin
Translator
Translator

Post by Evin »

And maybe UTF8/Unicode text search?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

You mean without Unicode support in the Internal viewer?
thomas
Translator
Translator

Post by thomas »

Jan Rysavy wrote:You mean without Unicode support in the Internal viewer?
This would be very nice. I use often reg files and simple text files with unicode.
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

Is it really so hard to simply create unicode ready internal viever now and implement full unicode support later? I don't care about unicode in filenames etc., I can live without unicode search for now, but I need to be able simply read files saved as utf8/16. I'm ready to donate for this, but I don't want to wait another year to get just that simple feature.
stepand76
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by stepand76 »

IMO the Unicode ready Internal Viever is most missing part of the whole Unicode support.
As Raptor wrote, unicode in file names is not so important (for me (and for him 8) )).
But I guess it's not simple task to add unicode to the viewer.
MartinS

Post by MartinS »

stepand76 wrote:IMO the Unicode ready Internal Viever is most missing part of the whole Unicode support
I don't think so, since you can use some external viewer. I use Lister with F3 - fast, remebers windows size and closes with ESC. Of course it is not perfect, but it is usable - Unicode named files are not usable...
stepand76
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by stepand76 »

MartinS wrote:I don't think so, since you can use some external viewer. I use Lister with F3 - fast, remebers windows size and closes with ESC. Of course it is not perfect, but it is usable - Unicode named files are not usable...
It's individual. I cannot remember last moment I met unicode in filename.
You are right that using of an external viewer is not perfect. And that's the problem.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

I would prefere 2 things.
- UTF8/unicode capable search within files
- UTF8/unicode capable viewer (for quick viewing)

I can too live without the unicode support in filenames. Mostly when I need that, its when my clients store international websites or MP3 files which contain unicode characters. Otherwise not so much.
Evin
Translator
Translator

Post by Evin »

There, or I mostly need UTF8/Unicode support in the Find dialog box, "Search file content" block.
Ether

Post by Ether »

So it seems we're having some kind of a poll, so I'm gonna give my vote, too: I encounter Unicode file names more often than pure Unicode text files and since I agree with MartinS on the (non-)usability assessment, I don't agree with implementing Unicode support for the Viewer before doing it for the core.
Evin wrote:And maybe UTF8/Unicode text search?
Actually, that's the only thing that can't be easily worked around. We can integrate Unicode viewers pretty well, Explorer's directory listing can be opened using a shortcut, but AFAIK there's no easy way to invoke an external search tool (with Unicode support) from Salamander.
Ελληνικά rulez.
omega

Post by omega »

I have files with unicode names so to me that's more important than internal viewers with unicode support. For others it's the other way around, but i agree with Ether that the core should be done first. It looks weird if the viewer can display unicode text but the file manager can't show the file names properly.
DJ_ZX

Post by DJ_ZX »

Agree with everyone who requests Unicode version of Salamander.
Reason of that - not even because users want, but because mostly all serious file managers support Unicode (Total Commander, Far, Directory Opus and of course Windows Explorer, etc.).
But of course if someone wants to use cp1251 (cyrillic) names on system with cp1252 system CP settings or some symbols not limited to English language on Cyrillic system (I even don't say about some Asian symbols or some special symbols) - we'll be stuck. I need to rename French/Spanish named files on my system or use Windows Explorer to copy/open such files. And this is not about 1 file, but about hundreds in different folders, so Salamander stuck in copying this folders and that's bad - one symbol and you get error.

I'm software tester (seriously - real QA/QA lead ;)) and I even can provide free professional testing/bug-writing for Unicode support if it will be decision to make it high priority (I cannot test Salamander stable, because of high load with my actual work on project, so I want (if needed) support fully only Unicode support, because of my personal interest).

Another propositions (sorry if I double someone's request):
Allow unpack/archive operations to be performed on background + allow to add these operations to queue + use all CPU threads in case of multiple archive operations in a same time (if not queued)
Unified queue dialog for copy/move/archive actions (like TC, but improved - with slider to control speed, with ability to open full-size copy dialog for any item, etc)
FTP Client connections export/import (reg-file is ok, but maybe something encrypted will be good too)
Portable version of Salamander (natively portable or paf-platform, but official one)
Busy/locked file unlocker plugin (bundled).
Text-file viewer to have syntax highlighting (at least for some most popular file types - ini, htm(l), cmd, xml, c, cpp)
docx, xlsx support for viewing
...will think more :)
http://www.linkedin.com/in/rgorin
Georgd

Post by Georgd »

This thread mostly contains talk about unicode. Tough this is not minor, I'm afraid a reaaaally important point of the initial comment could be forgotten:
KNUT wrote:As mentioned on http://www.altap.cz/salamander/roadmap/, the final version of Altap Salamander 3.0 will contain these features:
* Switch to Microsoft Visual C++ 2008/2010/11
* Speed up file copy operations on fast networks
* Both 32 and 64 bit versions to bypass WOW64 limitations
* New language translations
Is this still right? If yes, I think I don't need a new version :o
This roadmap does not contain some enhancements that are already implemented in 3.0b1 -- hence, I hope the roadmap is limited on "big building blocks" and besides these, a considerable amount of smaller improvements will be implemented as well :) If not, I share Knut's viewpoint not to see any reason to upgrade - especially if I have to pay for - but would wait for the next release containing improvements that I feel...
Using Salamander since v 1.52