PB38: On ignoring DST differences

Try the latest development release to test new features and bug fixes even before beta version release. Please use this section to discuss features and problems of this Preview Build version.
Forum rules
Please read forum rules and a few additional rules for this section:
1. Please take into account that Preview Build versions of Salamander and plugins could contain serious bugs. Don't use them in production environments.
2. All problems or comments regarding Preview Build versions please insert into this section of forum.
3. Each new topic mark with PB abbreviation and Preview Build number, for example "PB22: inactive panel below mouse cursor doesn't scroll while mouse wheel tilting".
mdruiter

PB38: On ignoring DST differences

Post by mdruiter »

As the requester (see http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=619) of the new feature "Compare Directories: ignore time differences of exactly one or two hours", I tried it in the prebuild. And I'm happy to report that it works well. :)
But... it could work even better! :idea:

I did a comparison of two directories, comparing (size and) date and time, including subdirectories. One common subdirectory contained very different files, except for one file, which only had a DST-ignored time difference of one hour. Now I got the new warning message:
Compared directories contain 1 pair of files with time difference of exactly one or two hours. ...
In this situation, where differences exist *and* DST-ignored time differences exist, the complicated warning can be avoided, because the subdirectories differ regardless.

Hope this helps.
therube

Re: PB38: On ignoring DST differences

Post by therube »

I'm just thinking out loud ...

Yes. No. Maybe. (How's that for an open ended opinion ;-).)

Date was compared. You asked to be altered. And so you were.

Why just because it happens to be a subdirectory should you not be alerted?
How is the subdirectory any different from the current directory?
Could you then say, if the current panel directories differed (excluding subdirectories) in any manner other then DST, then why bother alerting on DST issues? After all they are different, so why not leave it at that?

And because of that, you should be alerted. Yes? No? Maybe? ;-).
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
mdruiter

Post by mdruiter »

I think if the state of the option is irrelevant (as it is in the case I described, with equal results with or without the new feature), Salamander should not bother warning the user about it. But others might think otherwise.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

I understand what you mean, I'll look at it.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

I reduced number of DST confirmations in Compare Directories. They are shown only if changing of "Compare Directories: ignore time differences of exactly one or two hours" may lead to different results of Compare Directories command. Please test it in next PB version.