About Translations

Place to discuss language translations of Altap Salamander and plugins. We welcome any suggestions or reviews that will help to improve existing translations.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss language translations in your native language.
Please let us know about offensive, spam, or other posts breaking forum rules.
Maxime
Translator
Translator

About Translations

Post by Maxime »

Hi,

I'm a long-time user of Salamander 2.x, as I got my license before development on 2.5 started, and I'm following the beta stage since 2.5 beta 1.

In 2.5 RC1, you are heavily insisting about the fact that Salamander is ready for translation. But, the .SLG files are not text files, so I suppose that we need some special tool to prepare a translation.

I read some time ago that you will offer an "ALTAP Translator" for that purpose. As I've not found it on your website, and heard something about a german translation on this forum, I'm wondering how did the translator create this translation?

Actually, as I'm French, I would be ready to make a French translation. But I'm wondering:
- how much lines (approximately) do we have to translate, currently?
- how will you manage translations when they'll be sent to you? eg. will you include them in the Salamander package, or make them available as a separate download?
- if I make a French translation for a given version of SS, but do not have more time afterwards to update it according to the version cycle (one major version per year IIRC) of the software, how will you do?
- will you consider only one translation/translator per language ("official translator"), or, if you receive several translations for the same language, will you offer all translations for download?

Because right now, I would have some time to translate SS, but I don't know if I would have time afterwards to keep updating the translation :)

That said, keep up the good work on next final 2.5 version!
Maxime
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

Hi,
the SLG files are just renamed DLL files that you can open and edit in Resource Hacker or any other resource editor.

I don't know, if Altap will use your translation, but you can allways make unofficial one ;)
There are already unofficial Czech and German translations somewhere on the net and Altap is promising to publish official Czech translation sometime "soon".
Maxime
Translator
Translator

Post by Maxime »

OK, haven't tought about Resource Hacker in a first time!
I'll check that... Thanks!
ADB
Translator
Translator

Re: About Translations

Post by ADB »

Salut
I would be OK to help you to translate SS into French.
Telle me how to proceed
Arnaud Dupin (ADB)
Arnaud Dupin de Beyssat