ChineseSimplified version of Altap Salamander 3.0

Place to discuss language translations of Altap Salamander and plugins. We welcome any suggestions or reviews that will help to improve existing translations.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss language translations in your native language.
Please let us know about offensive, spam, or other posts breaking forum rules.
Michael Lu
Translator
Translator

ChineseSimplified version of Altap Salamander 3.0

Post by Michael Lu »

I've started to translate Altap Salamander to Chinese Simplified.
If anyone is interested in this project I think we can cooperate on it.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: ChineseSimplified version of Altap Salamander 3.0

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Hi, it would be great! Did you start with Salamander core module?

When the core is translated, we can include your translation into Salamander beta version and there is a chance other Chinese users will join this effort.

Please look at http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4067 before you start.
Michael Lu
Translator
Translator

Post by Michael Lu »

Thank you for your approvement!
Yes, I've started with the core module.Once I finish it I'll post it here.
Also I've contacted Petr Solin by email.
Michael Lu
Translator
Translator

Post by Michael Lu »

The core module is almost to be finished except one item:
String IDS_INFODLGTYPE7 <10925>: (subst: %s)
I'm not sure if it should be translated or it's just the "subst" command of Windows.
Whatever it is now I upload the SimpChinese language file.
Next I'll start to work on the plugins.

Old attachment files removed.
Last edited by Michael Lu on 29 Apr 2013, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

Great! Thanks for translating!

Please translate string IDS_INFODLGTYPE7, it is displayed in Drive Information dialog (Ctrl+F1) when you are on substed path in panel.

I have just imported your translation from salamand.slt file. Chinese characters are displayed properly as far as I can judge, I cannot read in Chinese language. It seems great!

We need to pass validation tests in Altap Translator, it is in Tools menu: Validate Translation (Ctrl+Q key). Use F4 key to move to next validation error (Shift+F4 to move back).

I have noticed you are using different character for period (dot), so I have patched Altap Translator to ignore difference between these two period characters (unicode 3002 and 002e, click on links for details). Please replace your version of altaptrl.exe with version attached to this post.

In string IDS_SALMON_SOCK_ERR_RECV there is different character '%' than expected: '%'. Please just copy '%' from EN version to CH version (replace that single character).

Plural strings: is it true that you don't need to change text e.g. depending on count of files? Example in English: "1 file" but "2 files" (there is extra 's' added when count is more than 1). If yes, you still need to use at least empty variable part (empty curly brackets: "{}") in plural strings to ensure Altap Translator that you do it intentionally. Example: "{!}second{s|0||1|s}" is translated to "{!}秒{}". Please insert {} as appropriate.

Inconsistent text beginnings and endings: to minimize incorrect displaying of texts (joined texts when space character is missing; missing period on end of sentence, etc.), we want translated texts to have the same special characters on beginnings and endings. It should be very easy to fix it, e.g. EN text " Language " should be translated to " 语言 " (it is "语言" now, so please add one space character on start and one on end).

What is common solution to hotkeys in Chinese versions of software? I have noticed you are adding English letter in bracket after Chinese translation, e.g.: "&Thumbnails" is translated to "缩略图(&T)", so hotkey T is the same as in English. You are used to this schema from other Chinese software? If yes, I should patch Altap Translator to ignore "(&T)" part of string when validating inconsistent text beginnings and endings (current version will report false-positive validation errors). Please let me know.

Clipped texts: text box in dialog needs to be wider to display whole text. You can use Layout Editor (Ctrl+L), see readme.txt for details (especially 'S' hotkey). I can do layouting of dialogs if you have troubles with it.

Misaligned controls: you have probably changed layout of some dialogs. Validator checks if resulting dialogs still "looks good". As I stated before, please read about layouting in readme.txt and if you have troubles with it, I can do it.

If anything is not clear, please let me know.

I think we can release Simplified Chinese version soon in prepared EAP version, sounds great!
Attachments
altaptrl.7z
Patched Altap Translator
(126.51 KiB) Downloaded 617 times
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

I have noticed you are using '.' characters in translated version. If you do not want to use them and want to replace them with '。' characters, you can use Find (Ctrl+F key) filtered to search only in translated texts (see Look in Translated Texts check box in Find dialog). Automatic replacing is not supported, but you can export translation to salamand.slt file (it is encoded in UTF8), do that replacement in some text editor and then import translation from salamand.slt file back.
Michael Lu
Translator
Translator

Post by Michael Lu »

In string IDS_SALMON_SOCK_ERR_RECV there is different character '%' than expected: '%'. Please just copy '%' from EN version to CH version (replace that single character).
It's a typo, fixed.
Plural strings: is it true that you don't need to change text e.g. depending on count of files? Example in English: "1 file" but "2 files" (there is extra 's' added when count is more than 1). If yes, you still need to use at least empty variable part (empty curly brackets: "{}") in plural strings to ensure Altap Translator that you do it intentionally. Example: "{!}second{s|0||1|s}" is translated to "{!}秒{}". Please insert {} as appropriate.
Yes, it's true. There's no plural form for noun in Chinese. E.g. "1 cat and 2 cats" in Chinese is " 1 只猫和 2 只猫". I'll add empty variable part in plural strings.
Inconsistent text beginnings and endings: to minimize incorrect displaying of texts (joined texts when space character is missing; missing period on end of sentence, etc.), we want translated texts to have the same special characters on beginnings and endings. It should be very easy to fix it, e.g. EN text " Language " should be translated to " 语言 " (it is "语言" now, so please add one space character on start and one on end).
I'll check and fix them.
What is common solution to hotkeys in Chinese versions of software? I have noticed you are adding English letter in bracket after Chinese translation, e.g.: "&Thumbnails" is translated to "缩略图(&T)", so hotkey T is the same as in English. You are used to this schema from other Chinese software? If yes, I should patch Altap Translator to ignore "(&T)" part of string when validating inconsistent text beginnings and endings (current version will report false-positive validation errors). Please let me know.
Adding English letter in bracket after Chinese translation, it's the standard of Chinese version of Microsoft Windows. Almost all Chinese softwares use this schema.
Clipped texts: text box in dialog needs to be wider to display whole text. You can use Layout Editor (Ctrl+L), see readme.txt for details (especially 'S' hotkey). I can do layouting of dialogs if you have troubles with it.
Yes I know this method and I've modified some dialogs. But I'm not sure all of them were corrected. Maybe I should review them all again.
Misaligned controls: you have probably changed layout of some dialogs. Validator checks if resulting dialogs still "looks good". As I stated before, please read about layouting in readme.txt and if you have troubles with it, I can do it.
Let me read through the "layouting" section first. :)
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

Maybe I should review them all again.
Validation does it automatically, it reports all found problems. You should not need to go through all dialogs manually.
Michael Lu
Translator
Translator

Post by Michael Lu »

I ran validator and found some dialog layout related errors. Then in Dialog Layout Editor I tried to fix all these errors with Ctrl+A and S. After the correction I validated them again. But there were still two types of errors, overlapping controls and clipped texts. The clipped texts errors are all on buttons but they can be fully displayed, so I don't think they need to be fixed. The overlapping controls errors need be fixed, but the readme.txt metioned "Please try not to change left-hand indent and alignment of controls". So I don't know how to fix them.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

Buttons need to be enlarged manually because all buttons in group should have the same width if possible to "look good", so it needs manual work.

Altap Translator measures text extent also in all other font sizes and so reports clipping also in other screen DPI values (100%-200%).

You should change position of controls in such way that you keep groups of controls aligned as in English version. Generally you should move controls only to the right to keep indentation of sections with controls in dialog. Try to find out what's the logic of dialog (which controls are in groups and how they are aligned) and keep it also for translated dialog.
Michael Lu
Translator
Translator

Post by Michael Lu »

Thanks for your guide.
Now all problems were fixed except one.
Dialog IDD_CFGPAGE_USERMENU <350>: IDC_STATIC_3 <1152> is incorrectly placed (move vertically by +8 to correct)
... to IDC_THROUGHSHELL <353>
But IDC_STATIC_3 is correctly placed in dialog, I did not change its position.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

It is misunderstanding. Altap Translator thinks IDC_STATIC_3 is label for IDC_THROUGHSHELL instead of editbox on the right side. Please bypass this by enlarging of IDC_STATIC_3 up to editbox. Open dialog in Layout Editor, click on IDC_STATIC_3, press Shift+right_arrow, and watch status area at bottom, in line "Margins:" there is "R:", enlarge till there is 1).
Michael Lu
Translator
Translator

Post by Michael Lu »

Now all validations passed OK!
Slg and slt files in one archive.
Attachments
ChineseSimplified_slt_and_slg.zip
(83.63 KiB) Downloaded 615 times
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

Great! Congratulation! ;-)
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

How much is Salamander usable with Simplified Chinese Windows?
We really need to convert code to Unicode for proper support.