Spanish version of Altap Salamander

Place to discuss language translations of Altap Salamander and plugins. We welcome any suggestions or reviews that will help to improve existing translations.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss language translations in your native language.
Please let us know about offensive, spam, or other posts breaking forum rules.
jpbarrio
Translator
Translator

Spanish version of Altap Salamander

Post by jpbarrio »

Hi there!
Just wanted to let you all know that the Spanish translation of Altap Salamander has started after setting up the translation tool provided in this forum.
Please allow for some time before it is ready since the time is limited.
I will post more news as the project is going on.
Last edited by Jan Rysavy on 31 May 2010, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated subject
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Spanish language localization

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Any translators willing to help with Spanish version of Salamander? Please let us know...
jpbarrio
Translator
Translator

Re: Spanish version of Altap Salamander

Post by jpbarrio »

Current status of the spanish translation:

- Dialog boxes and menus are completed.
- String tables (about 10% of them finished) are more cumbersome.
jpbarrio
Translator
Translator

Post by jpbarrio »

Hello!
All strings for the spanish translation of Altap Salamander are ready now, but there are some troubles with plural strings. I think I have understood the rules as in the readme.txt file, but I would like you to illustrate me about what I should include to get the correct plural in the following sentence (from other similar ones I will be learn after this one).

English sentence: {!}%d selected file{s|0||1|s}
I understand 0 files, 1 file, 2 files and so on...

Tentative Spanish sentence: {!}%d ficher{o|1|os} seleccionad{o|1|os}
Since spanish adjectives inherit the plural property of the corresponding noun, selected ("seleccionado") has to match file ("fichero"). What should I place in this sentence to avoid the validation message "..too many variable parts without specified index of parameter..."? What am I missing about parameter indexes (there is only %d parameter in the sentence).
Any suggestions will be welcome.
jpbarrio
Translator
Translator

Post by jpbarrio »

My question was posted too quickly. I think I solved the problem myself. I just have to place the index of the same parameter, so that the sentence

{!}%d selected file{s|0||1|s}

is translated as

{!}%d ficher{o|1|os} seleccionad{1:o|1|os}

The string validates now with no errors.
I still have to check whether it really works in operation.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

Yes, this is the correct solution to this problem. I have added this functionality for German plural strings.
jlbarriosr

Post by jlbarriosr »

Hi, i´m traslanting to Latinamerican Spanish.

There are a few diferences: "File " is traslated as "Fichero" in Spain Spanish, but as "Archivo" in Latinamerican Spanish.

Back to work,

;-)
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Are you the same person as jpbarrio? Why two accounts?
jpbarrio
Translator
Translator

Post by jpbarrio »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Are you the same person as jpbarrio? Why two accounts?
I think our family name is the same but each of us are living (probably) in different continents...

About translating "File" as "Fichero" or "Archivo", I personally prefer "Fichero" since "Archivo" bears more similarity with the english Archive meaning compressed storage file. If we were translating "File" as "Archivo", how could it be differentiated from Archive?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

jpbarrio wrote:I think our family name is the same but each of us are living (probably) in different continents...
:wink:
jpbarrio
Translator
Translator

Post by jpbarrio »

Hello everyone.

After some problems and a lot of time spent I can tell you that the Spanish translation of Altap Salamander will be finished by this weekend.

Actually there are only a couple of plugin files to be completed, the bulk of the material has been tested OK.

However, some strings I'm afraid might be too long to fit properly in dialog boxes. In the cases where the string text appears in the preview from the translator this is not a problem, but there are much more strings that only appear when some error or other event happens, and these cannot be tested in advance.

If there is some way to make sure the strings will fit, please tell me.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Did you translate Salamander alone? It is huge project...

Unfortunately, for now there is no way how to test mentioned run-time problems with long strings. We have this task on our to-do list for the Altap Translator.

We are looking forward to Spanish translation, it would be great!
jpbarrio
Translator
Translator

Post by jpbarrio »

Hello!

I'm proud to announce that the spanish version of Altap Samalandewr 2.53 has been finally arrived!

After nearly a couple months of intense work, another colleague joining the project unfortunately could not continue and it I had to be a little more pressed. Anyway, I have made some tests of the general Salamander operation including plugins and at the moment there are no problems with the translation. I would encourage any spanish speaker to please find bugs (they are surely hidden somewhere) and let us know of.

I found a reference to the english name of "Undelete" plugin in the menu that unfolds after clicking the drives' button at the left of the column path, which I could not find searching text in the translator. I other words, it is untranslated until I find out where this word is.

What I could not test is the huge amount of explanatory text supposeedly arising when unexpected situations happen during Salamander operation. In the translation tool there is no possibility to preview the dialogs the user will be shown in these cases, and the problem has been noticed before (I can remind of the german version) as Spanish language has the same problem: strings are (almost) always longer than its English counterparts.

Some terms will no doubt be controversial, since spanish computer terminology never reached a full standard as did in other non-english speaking countries such as France. For example, it has been commented in this thread how "file" can be translated as "fichero" or "archivo". Other than that, "OK" has been translated as "Correcto" (=allright), but "Aceptar" could also be "accepted". "Floppy" was at first left as such, but I lately prefer changing it to "diskette". Other possible conflicting words are "save", which many people translate literally as "salvar" but to me a more proper meaning is "guardar". "Rename" is literally "renombrar", but I had the longer translation "cambiar nombre" since "renombrar" sounds more to "renown"...

Another intriguing possibility is to face the Spanish help file. After looking at the English help, I realise it is a monumental task, much bigger than resource translation, but perhaps a team of enthusiastic people could accomplish it in a few months?

I look forward to see the spanish translation included in the next release of Salamander!
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

Great! Thank you very much for your hard work!
jpbarrio wrote:I found a reference to the english name of "Undelete" plugin in the menu that unfolds after clicking the drives' button at the left of the column path, which I could not find searching text in the translator. I other words, it is untranslated until I find out where this word is.
Oops, that's mistake on our side, this string is hard coded in version 2.53. I have moved it to resources, I'll send you patched version, so you will be able to translated this string. New version will be available in new version of Altap Translator also for other languages.
jpbarrio wrote:What I could not test is the huge amount of explanatory text supposeedly arising when unexpected situations happen during Salamander operation. In the translation tool there is no possibility to preview the dialogs the user will be shown in these cases, and the problem has been noticed before (I can remind of the german version) as Spanish language has the same problem: strings are (almost) always longer than its English counterparts.
These messages are nearly always displayed in messageboxes with dynamically calculated size, so I believe there will not be problems.
jpbarrio
Translator
Translator

Post by jpbarrio »

Spanish version was made by Juan Pablo Barrio Lera (jpbarrio). Spanish version of WinSCP plugin is based on translation of standalone version of WinSCP which was made by Fredy Rojas, Pablo Grande, and Juan Razeto.
If you have any suggestions or comments to Spanish version please post them to this topic.

Esta versión en español ha sido elaborada por Juan Pablo Barrio Lera (jpbarrio). La versión española del plugin WinSCP está basada en la traducción de la versión autónoma de WinSCP elaborada por Fredy Rojas, Pablo Grande y Juan Razeto.
Si algún lector desea plantear cualquier sugerencia o comentario a la versión en español, puede hacerlo en este foro.