Registry is corrupt

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
docfxit

Registry is corrupt

Post by docfxit »

I have received this message with ver. 3.06

Code: Select all

Configuration stored in registry is corrupted, so it cannot be loaded. Altap Salamander was probably terminated during saving configuration. This happens mainly when Altap Salamander is still running when you shutdown system (or log off). To prevent this problem, close Altap Salamander before shutdown (or log off).

You can backup corrupted configuration now (run RegEdit.exe, rename key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Altap\Altap Salamander 2.53 beta 2). Later you can try to get some settings from this backup (User Menu, Hotpaths, FTP bookmarks, etc.), visit http://forum.altap.cz/ for details.

Corrupted configuration must be removed from registry before starting Altap Salamander.
Since the Salamander program knows when and where the registry is corrupt I am very surprised at this point in it's life that it doesn't fix the corrupt entry by itself. I am also surprised that someone hasn't written a program to read all registry entries involved, Find the corrupt entry and fix it. It seems to me that it would be a very small program.

When I run Options, Save Configuration
Where does it put the configuration that was saved?

I have tried doing a System Restore to an earlier part of the day. I have turned of my Antivirus (Bitdefender Antivirus only) and my firewall (ZoneAlarm Pro firewall only) I keep getting an error saying "System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.
Details:
System Restore could not access a file. This is probably because an anti-virus program is running on the computer. Temporarily disable your antivirus program and retry System Restore.
An unspecified error occurred during System Restor (0x0070005)

Windows 7 32bit

Thanks,

Docfxit
tukanos

Re: Registry is corrupt

Post by tukanos »

Since the Salamander program knows when and where the registry is corrupt I am very surprised at this point in it's life that it doesn't fix the corrupt entry by itself. I am also surprised that someone hasn't written a program to read all registry entries involved, Find the corrupt entry and fix it. It seems to me that it would be a very small program.
It seems to be easy but it is not. If you consider the amount of information stored there and the multiple variants what could go wrong you have quite a large tree of options. The AS shows an error on a point where it can't parse the data. The point is it does not know what data should be there only that it is wrong. The best bet would be to delete the key. If you still think it is easy to do it then try it out yourself.
When I run Options, Save Configuration
Where does it put the configuration that was saved?
It stores your current configuration to the registry. The exporting option stores it on your HDD and import can restore the registry file.
I have tried doing a System Restore to an earlier part of the day. I have turned of my Antivirus (Bitdefender Antivirus only) and my firewall (ZoneAlarm Pro firewall only) I keep getting an error saying "System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.
Details:
System Restore could not access a file. This is probably because an anti-virus program is running on the computer. Temporarily disable your antivirus program and retry System Restore.
An unspecified error occurred during System Restor (0x0070005)
Your best bet is to try to fix the registry via some good registry cleaning utility like winaso or system advanced cleaner. If that does not help, uninstall AS run it again and install it again and you will get completely fresh installation.