Memory leak using thumbnail view

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.

Memory leak using thumbnail view

Post by Guest »

If we have many picture folders and set both left and right panel to thumbnail view, and then change folders several times, the memory requirements grow substantially (in my case even more than 1 GB).
The used memory didn't released even after change to other view like brief/detailed. We has to close SS to release the memory.
cincura.net

Post by cincura.net »

I'm not the member of Altap developer team, so I can only guessing.

Try to minimize SS's window (Win's memory manager will reorganize the memory). Maybe is MM still keeping the memory.

But if it will not work, there's probably memory leak. :(

Sometimes I'M using thumbnail view too, but I didn't watch some m-leak (maybe I'm wrong). ;)
Jiri {x2} Cincura
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Memory leak using thumbnail view

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Anonymous wrote:If we have many picture folders and set both left and right panel to thumbnail view, and then change folders several times, the memory requirements grow substantially (in my case even more than 1 GB).
The used memory didn't released even after change to other view like brief/detailed. We has to close SS to release the memory.
Could you please isolate which picture (you can duplicate it using Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, Ctrl+V, ... for testing) causes this problem? Could you send it to my email?

Post by Guest »

I'm trying to find the offending image(s). It seems that it happens when I open a folder that contains some jpegs with dimension: width between 900-1000 pixels and height 6000 - 7000 pixels, with size between 900 KB - 1700 KB.

Every time I move out the folder and then move in again, the memory usage goes up.

First I think that it happens because the image height, so I try to rotate the image using BetterJpeg for lossless jpeg rotation, so now the image has landscape proportion.

After the rotation, the memory leak is gone.

Then I try to rotate the images back to vertical position using BetterJpeg again.

The memory leak still gone. There is no more memory leak.

So I think that the jpeg is somehow malformed (although can be viewed perfectly), and the rotation has repair that. Unfortunately, by doing that I already repair the jpegs so it's useless to send you the image.

For me at least, whenever I encounter this kind of problem, I know what to do :-) Smile
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Anonymous wrote:For me at least, whenever I encounter this kind of problem, I know what to do :-) Smile
Thank you for this information. It would be nice if you send us such memory-leaking JPEG when you encounter it.

You can contact Jan Patera, author of PictView plugin, at support@pictview.com.

Note: the thumbnails are provided by viewer plugins (PictView, Eroiica).