PictView "Update Thumbnail" deletes XMP data

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Georgd

PictView "Update Thumbnail" deletes XMP data

Post by Georgd »

In Salamander 3.03 x64 in a folder, the thumbnails did not appear correctly in Salamander - wrong rotaion, not reflecting cropping etc. I tried to recreate the thumbnails with XnView classic, but it did not help. So I called Salamander > Menu > Plugins > PictView > Update Thumbnail, the dialog told the action would update thumbnails and the rest of the file would not be modified - nice. Afterwards, the thumbnails were shown correctly in Salamander :) and I did not discover negative side effects (EXIF GPS info still present, IPTC byline & keywords & comments still present,...) so I repeated it for the whole collection. Months later, I discovered that this was the reason why I lost all my XMP rating and color label information :evil: so filtering/sorting did not work any more.

To avoid data loss for other users, please change at least the dialog message text "rest of the file will not be modified" ASAP. And of course in the long run, it would be nice if PictView would be able to keep XMP.
Using Salamander since v 1.52
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Re: PictView "Update Thumbnail" deletes XMP data

Post by Jan Patera »

Georgd wrote:I called Salamander > Menu > Plugins > PictView > Update Thumbnail, I lost all my XMP rating and color label information.
I am not sure what XMP exactly you mean, esp. if all the rest was preserved. Can you please provide a sample JPEG file XMP?
Georgd

Re: PictView "Update Thumbnail" deletes XMP data

Post by Georgd »

Sure, attached you'll find a pic with XMP metadata. Especially important for me is rating=3 and color=red as they serve for rough categorization in many applications (Adobe products, GeoSetter, XnView MP, ...). You can see the complete XMP metadata e.g. in XnView MP in browser mode, when you click on the thumbnail and open "Info" tab instead of "Preview".
Attachments
20100725 134351 balgende Murmeltiere P7256430vOly2.jpg
20100725 134351 balgende Murmeltiere P7256430vOly2.jpg (341.81 KiB) Viewed 6134 times
Using Salamander since v 1.52