7z plugin outdated?

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
mity

7z plugin outdated?

Post by mity »

Hello,

I tried to decompress this archive:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w ... z/download

But the plugin in AS 3.02 was unable to do so. I then tried to decompress on command with 7za.exe version 9.13 and it failed too. I was only able to decompress
it after I downloaded newer 7-zip (9.22 beta). It would probably be good to update 7z version used in the plugin as the above is prove that there is some incompatibility
in 7z and archives created with newer versions already circulate on the net.

EDIT: And on that matter it would be great for similar diagnostics in the future if you can make version of 7z used visible somewhere, e.g. in some detail screen of plugin manager.
The same for other plugins which are likely just wrappers gluing altap and some 3rd party code like (de)archivers or some VFS plugin.

Regards,
Martin
Ether

Re: 7z plugin outdated?

Post by Ether »

I can confirm. Wow, I've never seen a .tar.7z archive before. I suspect it's not gonna be easy to make the plugin extract the contained files instead of just the .tar file.
Ελληνικά rulez.
mity

Post by mity »

Well, you can create tar archive and then compress it with any algorithm you like, so you can for example create .tar.arj or whatever. It comes from Unix world where historically creating archive i.e. just storing multiple files into a single container file (tar) and compressing a single file (gzip, bzip2) was split into separate utilities. For many compressors like .zip or .7z it is not needed as they natively support putting multiple files into the compressed archive. So the author of the linked file just made a bogus step when using the tar.

Hence I don't think AS needs to support .tar.7z as it is not a natural and normal use case. The only use case I may think of is using tar to preserve Unix-style file permissions and ownerships with a compressor which does not support them. And if AS team decides to support .tar.7z anyway, then it should IMHO be done in a generic way for all (de)compressing plugins, because the .tar.7z is as strange as .tar.arj or .tar.tar) and all of them are technically possible.

Anyway I will be content if AS is able to just decompress the tar file. This is likely an exotic case and having to decompress twice then does not seem as a big deal for me.
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by Jan Patera »

mity wrote: I tried to decompress this archive:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w ... z/download

But the plugin in AS 3.02 was unable to do so. I then tried to decompress on command with 7za.exe version 9.13 and it failed too. I was only able to decompress
it after I downloaded newer 7-zip (9.22 beta). It would probably be good to update 7z version used in the plugin.
Apparently the only file in the archive actually doesn't have any name. Therefore Salamander will now (since 3.05) use the archive name without the last suffix as the default name, like 7za.exe and 7zfm.exe do.
BTW, we use 9.22 beta since AS 3.0 Beta 1.