Message about Compatibility Mode in Win 8.1

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
mjucker

Message about Compatibility Mode in Win 8.1

Post by mjucker »

When I start AS 3.02 from a link from "QuickLaunch", I get a message that I had tried to launch AS in compatibility mode - but that is not the case, as you can see in the attached picture of the link-properties. When I start the program from a link on the Desktop, this doesn't happen - move the link to quick-launch, and the message is back. No other link in QuickLaunch behaves like this.

(I confess that I have several fights with this Windows-version I never had before :-) )
Attachments
compat-mode.jpg
compat-mode.jpg (210.85 KiB) Viewed 8661 times
Martin Jucker
CH-8400 Winterthur
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Message about Compatibility Mode in Win 8.1

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Martin, could you please remove Salamander from QuickLaunch toolbar and add it back? I mean recreate this shortcut.
mjucker

Post by mjucker »

I have tried this - no change. I have several other links in this toolbar (Firefox, IE, Everything-Search) without this problem, and I have tried half a dozen of others - nothing unusual happens with them. Very strange. (Same message with links to the x86 and x64-Version or with links to Winbatch-scripts which call Salamander)
Martin Jucker
CH-8400 Winterthur
Ether

Post by Ether »

Can you check the following registry keys for any mentions of Salamander?

Code: Select all

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Persisted
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Store
If you don't find anything, could you post here Process Monitor log files in PML fomat - one from the time when Salamander is started without compatibility warning and one when the warning is displayed? These could reveal more about your issue.
Ελληνικά rulez.
mjucker

Post by mjucker »

I have found these two entries:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Store\C:\Program Files (x86)\Altap Salamander\salamand.exe
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Store\C:\Program Files\Altap Salamander\salamand.exe

Should I delete them?
Martin Jucker
CH-8400 Winterthur
mjucker

Post by mjucker »

I have just found the attached problem-report from Juli 31st. I don't know if this has something to do with my problem - but it might help.

Regards
Martin Jucker
CH-8400 Winterthur
gworley

Post by gworley »

I was having this problem after I installed version 3.03 (x86) on my Windows 8.1 and when I opened the properties of the shortcut in the taskbar, I could not change the compatibility mode as it was all greyed out. So I went to "c:\Program Files (x86)\Altap Salamander\" and clicked on the properties of the file -> Compatibility Tab and still was unable to change it. So clicked on "Change Settings for all users" button and was able to change it there. And now Salamander 3.03 runs properly.

George