Problems with UnISO file association - .cif

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
thuhn

Problems with UnISO file association - .cif

Post by thuhn »

Hello,
first of all I want to say that I am a long term happy user of Servant salamander, a program which should be found on every computer!!
Now I have a small but annoying problem:
The UnISO-plugin does an "unfriendly take over" of the .cif-file association! This leads - at least in my case - to severe trouble.
The .cif-file is the standard file for handling X-ray crystallographic data. Its structure is defined by the International Union of crystallography (IUCr). After an update of Servant Salamander, I was unable to change the .cif-file association back to my standard (CCDC-Mercury, a program to handle such files). It would be extremely helpful if one could choose during the process of installation or update of Servant Salamander if this association will be installed or not.

Best regards,
Thomas
Tomas Kopal
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Problems with UnISO file association - .cif

Post by Tomas Kopal »

Windows associations should be left intact (try by opening the .cif file in windows explorer, it should still open your application as before). What you want to change is Salamander's viewer association. Please look in menu Options->Configuration, Viewers and Editors->Viewers. In my installation, third line contains *.cif and points to UniISO plugin. If you do not plan to use UnISO, you can remove the whole line, otherwise edit the line (e.g. double-click it) and remove just the *.cif mask.
Ether

Post by Ether »

I believe he wants to change Archivers association in Salamander (Options > Configuration... > Archivers > Archives Association in Panels, remove cif from the line that starts with iso).
Ελληνικά rulez.
Tomas Kopal
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Tomas Kopal »

Of course, sorry and thanks for the correction.