AS 3.02 x64 fails to start

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
JimC

AS 3.02 x64 fails to start

Post by JimC »

My AS 3.02 x64 fails to start-up, under Windows 7-64; I've uninstalled/re-installed; installs OK, but then still freezes on the start-up screen: "initializing data." So, I installed AS x86, and it loads and runs OK. Also, Windows Explorer works OK, including context menu. I had some issues with Internet Explorer (which I rarely use) and with all .CHM files; but I reinstalled and updated IE (ver.10) and these problems are now solved. Would be grateful for any ideas re. this AS 3.02 x64 issue, my most used program for many years.
Ether

Re: AS 3.02 x64 fails to start

Post by Ether »

Could you find the frozen Salamander in Task Manager, right click it, select Create dump file and upload it somewhere?

Note: I'm not sure if this particular dump is going to be useful (I've heard about some issues with Task Manager dump on 64-bit Windows), but I'd say it's a good start.
Ελληνικά rulez.
therube

Post by therube »

My thought (without testing) was that maybe x86 could see x64 in Help | Task List...

But it seems it cannot.
Is that something that is possible to implement for a situation like this?

Did you install someplace "special"?
Any odd permissions for yourself & or your instalDir or %TMP%?

My thought would be related to a context menu item?
And if that is the case, ShellExView.

Does running Salamander "As Administrator" make a difference?
Does restarting your computer in Safe Mode make a difference?
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
JimC

Post by JimC »

Ether wrote:Could you find the frozen Salamander in Task Manager, right click it, select Create dump file and upload it somewhere?

Note: I'm not sure if this particular dump is going to be useful (I've heard about some issues with Task Manager dump on 64-bit Windows), but I'd say it's a good start.
Here's my dump file: https://apps.safecopybackup.com/g/?UUGNXC4YHY

Thanks.
JimC

Post by JimC »

therube wrote:My thought (without testing) was that maybe x86 could see x64 in Help | Task List...
But it seems it cannot.
Is that something that is possible to implement for a situation like this?
My ASx64 failed startup shows up in my ASx86 Task List as "PID 7996".
therube wrote:Did you install someplace "special"?
Any odd permissions for yourself & or your instalDir or %TMP%?
No, I don't think so.
therube wrote:My thought would be related to a context menu item?
And if that is the case, ShellExView.
I used ShellExView to disable all non-Microsoft context menu items; but AS x64 still failed to load.
therube wrote:Does running Salamander "As Administrator" make a difference?
No (that's what I ordinarily use).
therube wrote:Does restarting your computer in Safe Mode make a difference?
I'm afraid not; my AS x64 fails the same under Safe Mode as in a regular startup. :(

Thanks.
Last edited by Ether on 22 Jul 2014, 10:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed superfluous quotes for clarity
therube

Post by therube »

Ah, so it does.
(My mistake. I ran x86 sandboxed, Sandboxie, & x64 not. Should have run both either normally or sandboxed.)

In that case, you can use the working x86 to generate a Bug Report of the x64 instance.
(See the Help topic on the Task List... dialog.)
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
JimC

Post by JimC »

therube wrote:
Ah, so it does.
(My mistake. I ran x86 sandboxed, Sandboxie, & x64 not. Should have run both either normally or sandboxed.)

In that case, you can use the working x86 to generate a Bug Report of the x64 instance.
(See the Help topic on the Task List... dialog.)
Made the report and sent it in.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

I did not check the dump file, but I assume some 64bit shell extension is preventing Salamander from starting.
Do you have something like tortoisesvn, github etc installed?
Go to http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html, download the 64bit version, run it and in Options check Mark Non-Microsoft extension.
You can disable a extension temporarily and try to start Salamander. Just remember what was disabled and what you disabled subsequently.
Ether

Post by Ether »

I noticed some potentially problematic modules: Acronis tishell64.dll, SafeCopy ShellExtension.dll. I see also AppPatch modules (AcGenral.dll, AcLayers.dll, AcXtrnal.dll), which is weird.

Judging from the call stack, Salamander seems to be stuck in the ShellExtension module, so I'd try disabling that one first. Note that ShExView doesn't indicate very clearly if you're looking at 64-bit or 32-bit extensions. If you have time, you could try completely uninstalling SafeCopy (don't forget to restart and double-check it's gone using ShExView) to see if that helps.
Attachments
salamander-callstack.png
salamander-callstack.png (36.38 KiB) Viewed 10796 times
Ελληνικά rulez.