Shred files give's errors...

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Robinzon

Shred files give's errors...

Post by Robinzon »

If i try to shred the file C:\Attachment2.pdf i get the error message:

Name: C:\Attachment2.pdf:Zone.Identifier.$DAT#$^#*
Error: Error opening or creating file. The parameter is not correct.

I'll think it has something to do with Alternative Data Streams.

I'm user SS 2.5 RC1
SvA

Post by SvA »

Can you delete it using Windows Explorer or from the command line (using del command)?

I don't think * is a valid character within a stream name. You might try to run CheckDisk on the volume, or you might try to create a directory and move the file there, then delete the directory from the command line using the command rmdir /s.

Anyway, I think it's very unlikely this problem is actually related to Servant Salamander.

(And probably it is a good idea to scan your machine for malware)
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

SvA wrote:Can you delete it using Windows Explorer or from the command line (using del command)?
Interesting idea. Try to copy C:\Attachment2.pdf using Servant Salamander 2.5 RC1 -- it will try to copy also ADS (and display error messages, I'm not sure about Windows Explorer in this case).

You can list Alternate Data Streams using command line utility LADS: http://www.heysoft.de/nt/ep-lads.htm
Robinzon

Post by Robinzon »

Deleting from the command prompt was no problem, after that i did some testing, i renamed the file to attachement2.pdf.txt and shredding was not a problem, maybe the combination of the extension .pdf en ADS is a problem in the shred plug-in, or maybe the rename of the file has corrected the ADS...

Anyway, strange...
SvA

Post by SvA »

I am puzzled at your comments.

First, I must admit that I did not realize there was actually a shredder within Salamander. I now found it within the en/decrypt plugin. I had been thinking you were refering to deleting without sending to the recycle bin when talking about shredding.

But now, how could you perform tests on a file you had deleted? Did you use Salamander's Undelete plugin? Did it recover the ADS? Was the ADS still containing the asterisk in it's name when you performed you tests?
Michael Weisbrod

Post by Michael Weisbrod »

Hi all,
I found the same probleme: the encrypt-plugin is not able to shred a file, to which is appended an ADS stream. I got exactly the same error message, 'there was a error deleting ...' the files name was followed by a Code like $XYZ#, something like that.

Although I was able to delete this file using the Windows explorer, but in this way the file is not shredded. So I tried to shred this file using the shredder of TuneUp Utilities 2004. This program also gives an option to 'overwrite ADS' . I don't use this program normaly, because of the possibility of the salamander-PlugIn to shred a file by using the key command

I am sure, the appending ADS-Stream is the probleme, otherwise I never had a probleme like that using the salamander-plugin, which I use daily.

Yours sincerely
Michael
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Hi Michael,

Could you please list ADS using http://www.heysoft.de/nt/ep-lads.htm and post us result?

Also try to copy the file using Servant Salamander 2.5 RC1 to another directory (using F5 - Copy command). Does it display some error message?
Robinzon

Post by Robinzon »

Hello Robin again,

I'm getting the error more and more time, and always it are saved file from Microsoft Exchange 2003 Outlook Web Access, not all attachement but a lot of the give's the error.

I run the lads tool for you, here's the output:

LADS - Freeware version 4.00
(C) Copyright 1998-2004 Frank Heyne Software (http://www.heysoft.de)
This program lists files with alternate data streams (ADS)
Use LADS on your own risk!

Scanning directory C:\TEMP3\

size ADS in file
---------- ---------------------------------
26 C:\TEMP3\bon.pdf:Zone.Identifier

26 bytes in 1 ADS listed

And a link to a picture with the error:

Copying, moving or deleting from SS in no problem...
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We can reproduce this problem now, thank you for reporting it!
Sammy

Is it fixed?

Post by Sammy »

Jan Rysavy wrote:We can reproduce this problem now, thank you for reporting it!
Can you tell me wether this is already fixed or if there is a work-around (other then deleting the streams via sysinternals)?
-=Majkl=-

Post by -=Majkl=- »

I saw this problem when I tried to download some file with Firefox and then shred it. The workaround which works is: Rename the downloaded_file.zip (example) to downloaded_file.zip.part - because the original name of this file when downloading was with .part extension, then Firefox renamed it.
Sammy

Post by Sammy »

-=Majkl=- wrote:I saw this problem when I tried to download some file with Firefox and then shred it. The workaround which works is: Rename the downloaded_file.zip (example) to downloaded_file.zip.part - because the original name of this file when downloading was with .part extension, then Firefox renamed it.
This might indeed work for a single file, but I would like to erase complete directory structures.
If there is no fix or work-around available I have to wait for a error, locate the file, modify it and continue the shred operation until the next error apears.
So thank you, but no thank you... :)