Launching files does not work (too deep in directories?)

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Yuriy

Launching files does not work (too deep in directories?)

Post by Yuriy »

I have discovered a strange thing: launching files by their Windows extension does not work in some deep directories in RecycleBin.

For example, I have a file text.txt located in D:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-2681313834-3529579126-203007806-1000\$REVVUWW\ - pressing 'Enter' on this file opens the associated Windows program just fine. Bit this same file located one more directory deeper (in D:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-2681313834-3529579126-203007806-1000\$REVVUWW\LANGUAGE\) does not work that way - pressing 'Enter' only gives a message that 'There is no program associated with this file - set it in Default programs in Control Panel etc.' I tried it on other file types as well - even *.exe could not be launched that way!

I am not sure it is a bug - does Salamander has some limits on launching files inside deep directories' structure? But viewing/editing those files works nice, and it is possible to launch any file in $RECYCLE.BIN, but not that deep.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Launching files does not work (too deep in directories?)

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Could you please launch the same file with Windows Explorer?
Yuriy

Post by Yuriy »

That was the first thing I tried to do - but it's not possible as Windows Explorer opens not folders inside $RECYCLE.BIN but a TrashBin (where you can only restore deleted files, not open or launch them).
Well, that's a very minor issue, as not many people would try to launch files from their recycle bin :) I am just curious what obscure error it could be.
therube

Post by therube »

> launching files by their Windows extension does not work in ... RecycleBin

I wasn't aware that you could launch files from within $Recycle.Bin, at all?
Double-clicking a file within $Recycle.Bin has always, only opened its Properties dialog.

I've always had to copy a file out of $Recycle.Bin in order to open it.

And right-click context-menu has always been the limited; Restore, Cut, Delete, Properties.

I manually created the 'X' directory.
Manually copied a file 'new.txt' into X.

Did a Ctrl+X on new.txt (within /X/), wanted to drop it into the parent directory & received this:

Note that this is on my C: drive.
My OS is on E:
There are four subdirectories with C:\$Recycle.Bin, all empty (except for "desktop.ini"), except for the listed one.

(Guess I'll have to read up more on this.)
Attachments
Salamander RecycleBin Error.png
Salamander RecycleBin Error.png (10.53 KiB) Viewed 7388 times
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
Yuriy

Post by Yuriy »

therube, that's very interesting. It is strange that you get this nice message, and I have another one about 'no associated program for this file' (in Russian, even if I change the Salamabder language to English or French).

But you can launch *.wmv etc. from that very directory, right? Just not files in 'X' subdirectory.
therube

Post by therube »

> you can launch *.wmv etc. from that very directory, right? Just not files in 'X' subdirectory

No, nothing "launches" (via double-click or otherwise) for me, regardless of where within $Recycle.Bin the file may be.
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
Yuriy

Post by Yuriy »

OK, so that's how it works for me:

1. Root Recycle Bin directory: C:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-...\ - you can't launch anything, only Properties dialog appears when pressing 'Enter'.
2. One more directory deeper: C:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-...\$REVVUWW\ - you can launch any file in a usual way (in Salamander only, not in Windows Explorer where you just can't open a folder, only Properties dialog appears).
3. Two more directories deeper: C:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-...\$REVVUWW\X\ - you can't launch anything, message 'file is not associated' appears.
4. Three and more directories deeper: C:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-...\$REVVUWW\X\Y - you can't launch anything, and nothing appears when pressing 'Enter'.

Strange behaviour indeed :)