Scroll bar width robustness

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
mdruiter

Scroll bar width robustness

Post by mdruiter »

My Windows theme has larger scroll bar widths. I did that mainly to test our own software for robustness.
Now I noticed that Salamander can also be improved in that respect. Check this screenshot:
2014-05-19_12-45-55.png
2014-05-19_12-45-55.png (24.11 KiB) Viewed 4976 times
Probably because of the scroll bar widths, the dates and times are not fully visible. Would be nice if that could be fixed.
Last edited by mdruiter on 19 May 2014, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Scroll bar width robustness

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Interesting. How did you change the scroll bar width? Is it possible to enlarge scroll bars even more?

Solution looks like a lot of work (all dialog boxes * all languages).
mdruiter

Post by mdruiter »

This is Windows 7. I can change it through Change window colors and metrics, then at Item choose Scrollbar. The Size can be set to anything between 8 and 100 (pixels, I assume). The default might depend on the theme, but I think it's 17 for most people. I have it currently set to 30.
The full visibility of dates and times depends on the scrollbar size, which (apparently) is used for the size of the dropdown triangle and up/down triangle buttons.

Aside: when I set the size below 12, a calendar button is shown next to (or over?) the dropdown triangle.

I think Salamander has few controls of which the size depend on Windows settings and where they do Salamander already plays well. At least I didn't notice any other issue yet. So it might be enough to only fix apparent cases like this one. I don't think these sizes/positions should depend on language, but I only know Latin script so I might be wrong about Chinese.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

In Salamanader each language has own independent resources.