Can't load Adobe Reader PDF's in Salamander

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
JimC

Can't load Adobe Reader PDF's in Salamander

Post by JimC »

I can run *.exe files and others in Salamander 3.0 (x64) under Win.8.1 OK; but PDF files will not load in Adobe Reader from AS (I re-installed Reader; did not help). PDF files will run, however, either from Reader itself or from Explorer. This is a new install of AS of mine, in Win.8.1--using good AS Configuration extracted from my Win.7 machine AS install. I looked quickly at my shell extensions in ShellExView, but did not test, one by one. Probably something simple here that I'm missing. Thanks.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Can't load Adobe Reader PDF's in Salamander

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Try to right-click some PDF file, what are Open items in displayed context menu? On my computer I have first two:
Open with Adobe Reader XI
Open

I can open PDF with both items. Could you please test it?

What about another context menu item Open With > Adobe Reader, does it work?

Do you have latest version of Adobe Reader? It should be Adobe Reader XI (11.0.06).
JimC

Post by JimC »

Try to right-click some PDF file, what are Open items in displayed context menu? On my computer I have first two:
Open with Adobe Reader XI
Open

I have these same items in my AS context menu also. 8)
I can open PDF with both items. Could you please test it?
I cannot open PDF's by means of either one of these items.
What about another context menu item Open With > Adobe Reader, does it work?

No, PDF's will not load into Reader even by using "Open with . . ." However, Win 8's PDF viewer will work by this means.
A pop-up box does appear, though: "Fatal Error, Acrobat Failed to Connect to a DDE Server."
Also, after I try to load PDF's via AS to be sent to Reader, Task Manager will then show multiple Adobe Reader Background Processes. And then, neither Reader itself nor Explorer will load PDF's either. However, when I use "End Task" to remove these multiple Reader processes, Reader and Explorer will load PDF's once again. However, AS still will not do so.

Task Manager also shows a single instance of "Altap Salamander Bug Reporter." (?)

Do you have latest version of Adobe Reader? It should be Adobe Reader XI (11.0.06).

Yes, I do (v.11.0.06).
therube

Post by therube »

Good luck, as no one "solution" stood out, Fatal Error: Acrobat Failed to connect to a DDE server.
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

JimC wrote:Task Manager also shows a single instance of "Altap Salamander Bug Reporter." (?)
It is just watchdog process (out of process crash dump collecting with option to upload crash dump to Altap server), you can ignore it. Each AS instance has one, you can find it at C:\Program Files\Altap Salamander\utils\salmon.exe
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

There must be something dirty in Adobe PDF handler. I can see some redraws of AS main window when opening PDF on Windows 8.1. This is interesting and related thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/1877300

Could you temporarily disable antivirus?

Another test: try to disable Adobe Reader protected mode
JimC

Post by JimC »

Disabling antivirus didn't help, but disabling Adobe Reader Protected Mode (PM) eliminated the problem. I wonder, however, how dangerous it is to work all the time with PM turned off?

Thanks very much, Jan; 8) at least you've restored a much-needed function for me, one that I use very frequently. In time, maybe you'll learn of a way to allow the use of Reader in AS with PM enabled even under Win.8.1! :wink:

I depend on Salamander, have used it continually for many years, and appreciate all you do to maintain it and improve it.
Last edited by JimC on 23 Apr 2014, 19:59, edited 2 times in total.