Bug in Viewer - hex mode

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
-=Majkl=-

Bug in Viewer - hex mode

Post by -=Majkl=- »

Hi,

I am trying to view a xml file in salamander's viewer in hex mode, but it doesn't show the same things like other viewers, for example the first line of xml with UTF-8 encoding - BOM (Byte Order Mark) and xml tag:

Salamander:

Code: Select all

D4 AA F8 3C   3F 78 6D 6C   20 76 65 72   73 69 6F 6E   Ôªø<?xml version
other viewer

Code: Select all

EF BB BF 3C   3F 78 6D 6C   20 76 65 72   73 69 6F 6E   ïť¿<?xml version
Viewer in salamander shows bad characters in right and even bad hexa-codes in left side. It also corrupts other UTF byte sequences, not only BOM
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Look at Convert menu. Do you have the "Don't Convert" option checked?

Could you send me your XML file?
-=Majkl=-

Post by -=Majkl=- »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Look at Convert menu. Do you have the "Don't Convert" option checked?
Oops... I had some conversion enabled, sorry for bothering with dumb question :oops:

But I think that it shouldn't be enablable in hexa mode
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

-=Majkl=- wrote:Oops... I had some conversion enabled, sorry for bothering with dumb question :oops:
The code page is detected by the heuristics detection and could fail (your case). Could you send me your XML file so we can try to optimize our detection routine?
But I think that it shouldn't be enablable in hexa mode
In your case, the displayed characters will change when you switch to the HEX mode and back. We don't think this is a good idea.
-=Majkl=-

Post by -=Majkl=- »

Jan Rysavy wrote: The code page is detected by the heuristics detection and could fail (your case). Could you send me your XML file so we can try to optimize our detection routine?
OK, I'll send it, but it's not neccessary, it does on every file with extended characters
Jan Rysavy wrote: In your case, the displayed characters will change when you switch to the HEX mode and back. We don't think this is a good idea.
It's good idea to preserve conversion in right side, where text is showed, but definitely not to convert it's hexa codes in the left
bebe

Post by bebe »

Jan Rysavy wrote:The code page is detected by the heuristics detection and could fail (your case). Could you send me your XML file so we can try to optimize our detection routine?
As I understood, this was probably case of xml file (maybe with some unicode encoding). does that mean, that you're already implementing unicode encoding for viewer?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

bebe wrote:does that mean, that you're already implementing unicode encoding for viewer?
No. Right now we are finishing FTP plugin and support for language translations. Please, look at Roadmap.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

We will add some warning message about applied conversion in text and HEX modes, it will be possible to turn off these messages. I believe this will solve similar problems.