Missing Tortoise SVN Icon Overlay

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
SvA

Missing Tortoise SVN Icon Overlay

Post by SvA »

Some files don't show the Icon overlay, though others in the same directory do
TSVN Overlay Icons AS vs. Explorer
TSVN Overlay Icons AS vs. Explorer
AS_SVN.png (10.8 KiB) Viewed 9964 times
Note the file Čeština. (It's the same folder, just a different sorting)

Windows 8 x86 | AS 3.0 beta 3 (x86) | TortoiseSVN 1.7.11, Build 23600 - 32 Bit

Is this an issue with unicode? Can it be fixed even without full unicode support for AS?

By the way: What exactly is an unicode filename? As far as I know NTFS stores all filenames in unicode. Is it any filename that cannot be translated to the system's ANSI codepage?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Missing Tortoise SVN Icon Overlay

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Exactly, all NTFS file names are stored with Unicode encoding. Unfortunately Salamander is not Unicode application and there are problem with Unicode->Ansi conversion.

Regarding the problem: current TSVN version is 1.8.4. Is there any reason why should I test 1.7.11 version instead?
SvA

Post by SvA »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Regarding the problem: current TSVN version is 1.8.4. Is there any reason why should I test 1.7.11 version instead?
No, no reason. I just happened to have that version of TSVN installed when I stumbled accross this (I started to get incresingly exposed to unicode file names). I don't suppose the TSVN Version makes any difference, but if it does, and you tell me the problem is gone with a more recent version, I will be happy to update to the most recent released version. Just let me know.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

They are still improving shell extension, it does have sense to upgrade.
SvA

Post by SvA »

I now updated both, TortoiseSVN to 1.8.4.24972 and Altap Salamander to 3.0 beta 4 (x86)

So the question remains: does Salamander pass on to shell extensions a filename that had been converted to Ansi before and can this be (easily) changed?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Yes, Salamander is using ansi file names. Unfortunately I don't think it could be easily changed (even just for shell extensions).