System shutdown delay via SS caused unusual shutdown

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Scott Youngman

System shutdown delay via SS caused unusual shutdown

Post by Scott Youngman »

Background: My system is a laptop computer which turns itself completely off after system shut down.

What happened: I attempted to shut down Windows 2000 sp4 while Salamander was still open. Salamander paused the system shut down process to notify me that it was still running.

I closed Salamander and the system shut down process continued, but in a different manner than usual: it stopped at the notice "It is now safe to turn your computer off" (which never appeared before). The power switch could not turn the computer off, so I had to unplug the power cord and remove the laptop's battery.

Fix: Salamander should not override the computer's native shut down process.
ino

Post by ino »

The same to my pc with w2k sp4.

This function is especially due winxp fast killing application while shutting down system so Salamander does not saved its configuration.

If you are working in w2k you can disable this unnecessery message box in Configuration - Confirmation.

Next time you shutdown your PC Salamander won't ask and system will shut down correctly.
jis

Re: System shutdown delay via SS caused unusual shutdown

Post by jis »

ino wrote:This function is especially due winxp fast killing application while shutting down system so Salamander does not saved its configuration.
I never have problem with this. You think that 20s is too faaast for Servant Salamander? Because default value for WaitToKillAppTimeout is 20000ms in Windows XP.
Altap Salamander fan since 1998
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

Scott Youngman wrote:I closed Salamander and the system shut down process continued, but in a different manner than usual: it stopped at the notice "It is now safe to turn your computer off" (which never appeared before). The power switch could not turn the computer off, so I had to unplug the power cord and remove the laptop's battery.
I'm sorry for this inconvenience, it's my fault. I have tested it on W2K in VMware which ends Shutdown on this screen (without power off), so I did not realized this bug. :( I will fix this problem, please send me email to petr.solin at altap.cz and I'll send you link to fixed version.

BTW, I guess that you can turn off your laptop by pressing power off key for 5 or 10 seconds.
Scott Youngman wrote:Fix: Salamander should not override the computer's native shut down process.
It's not possible to pause Shutdown process, so we must stop it and then start new Shutdown.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

jis wrote:I never have problem with this. You think that 20s is too faaast for Servant Salamander? Because default value for WaitToKillAppTimeout is 20000ms in Windows XP.
We have solved more than five problems caused by configuration corrupted by this fast-killing on XP, so we try to solve it in this way. You can run more than one Salamander at once and if your registry is fragmented, save is very slow on XP (I don't understand why, MS screwed something up).
JohnFredC

Post by JohnFredC »

It's not possible to pause Shutdown process, so we must stop it and then start new Shutdown.
Since RC1, my system always shuts down (ie., won't auto-restart) after the Salamander dialog appears. Perhaps my problem is the same one as (or related to) the one mentioned in this thread?
Mouse-centric, Registered
jis

Post by jis »

JohnFredC wrote:
Since RC1, my system always shuts down (ie., won't auto-restart) after the Salamander dialog appears. Perhaps my problem is the same one as (or related to) the one mentioned in this thread?
Definitely yes. Btw, I observed the same behavior.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

JohnFredC wrote:Since RC1, my system always shuts down (ie., won't auto-restart) after the Salamander dialog appears. Perhaps my problem is the same one as (or related to) the one mentioned in this thread?
I don't know how to find out if system should restart or shutdown (if somebody knows how to do it, please advice me). So Salamander offers "Shutdown" button even if user has chosen Restart. If you need to Restart, you should cancel this dialog, exit Salamander with Alt+F4, and choose Restart in Start button again.
JohnFredC

Post by JohnFredC »

In my experience, the general public will not find this behavior acceptable. Perhaps some other approach to protecting Salamander's configuration would be advisable.
Mouse-centric, Registered
SvA

Post by SvA »

JohnFredC wrote:In my experience, the general public will not find this behavior acceptable. Perhaps some other approach to protecting Salamander's configuration would be advisable.
I fully agree. In my oppinion, you are trying to cast out the devil by Beelzebub. I immediately disabled this option when it first appeared. Good I can disable it this way!

Are you sure, it is writeing to the registry which causes the delay or might it be that you try to update pannels on switching to each instance of Salamander or do some other things not necessary under these circumstances?

Are you writeing the whole lot of of values or have you optimized the process to only write values that have changed.

Since each instance of Salamander overwrites the values written by the preceding instance, could you think of any way to let only the first instance actualy save it's values and all the rest skip it? (This will most likely not attain to the solution of the problem, but will still be a time saver (faster shutdown/restart) and probably yield a result that is more desirable (retaining the last working state) than the current behaviour.

Just some thoughts of mine ...
jis

Post by jis »

SvA wrote:In my oppinion, you are trying to cast out the devil by Beelzebub.
I agree.
SvA wrote:I immediately disabled this option when it first appeared. Good I can disable it this way!
Me too.

Post by Guest »

My computer will reboot instead of poweroff right after hibernation, and this is after disable the shutdown confirmation dialog, AFAIK this happend right on the night I installed RC1. could someone test hibernation on winxp and see if the same problem exist?
Hot Soup

Post by Hot Soup »

Anonymous wrote:My computer will reboot instead of poweroff right after hibernation, and this is after disable the shutdown confirmation dialog, AFAIK this happend right on the night I installed RC1. could someone test hibernation on winxp and see if the same problem exist?
Somehow posted this without logged on.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

I'm working on better solution now. It seems it works perfectly. Salamander opens popup window and processes message-loop during save, so system waits for end of save instead of premature terminating of "not responding" Salamander.

Shutdown/Log Off/Restart/etc is not longer stopped and reinitialized, so all described troubles should be away.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

Anonymous wrote:My computer will reboot instead of poweroff right after hibernation, and this is after disable the shutdown confirmation dialog, AFAIK this happend right on the night I installed RC1. could someone test hibernation on winxp and see if the same problem exist?
Hibernation should not open this new "Shutdown" dialog, because Salamander is not ending. I have tryied it and it works as I expected.