Extended characters in filenames prevents copy

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
ChrisGorringe

Extended characters in filenames prevents copy

Post by ChrisGorringe »

I have been using 2.54 for about 3 years now so I thought that a bit of testing with 3.0 ought be done - do my bit as they say. :) In 2.54 and now in 3.0 beta3, we still have the problem regarding copying or moving files where the filename contains extended characters or characters from a different locale. For example, create a file called Test.txt and then in Windows explorer, rename it to ┐Test.txt. (That's ALT-191 followed by Test.txt), Salamander sees it +Test.txt and then prevents access to the file. The same problem occurs with filenames that contain characters from Hebrew character sets although Windows Explorer handles them correctly.

This also affects the "Open Active Folder" Shift-F3 function when the path is 247 characters long. If the file in this path has an extended character in and the file name is longer than 7 characters excluding the suffix, "Open Active Folder" Shift-F3 will not do anything. If the filename is edited in Explorer, this then works.

This testing was done on Windows 200 R2 Standard with SP1 (x64)
SelfMan

Re: Extended characters in filenames prevents copy

Post by SelfMan »

this is a known problem with unicode characters.
ChrisGorringe

Post by ChrisGorringe »

Do I assume from this that it will be corrected sometime before the final release of v3.0?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Unfortunately we are not able to implement Unicode support to version 3.0. It is on Salamander roadmap for next version.
http://www.altap.cz/salamander/roadmap/
ChrisGorringe

Post by ChrisGorringe »

Being a developer myself, I can understand that you have to stick to the roadmap. However, it is hugely disappointing as this has been a problem for sometime in the previous versions and I was really hoping to have this solved in 3.0.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We would really like to implement Unicode ASAP. The problem is we need to rewrite 30MB+ of C++ source code. In AS 3.0 we switched to Visual C++ 2008/2010/2012 compiler and implemented x64 support. We didn't have another x months for Unicode refactoring :(
omega

Post by omega »

Is UAC the next feature you will be working on and then Unicode after the release of version 3?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Yes, we would like to implement UAC into AS 3.1 (minor upgrade).