AS 2.54 - Internal Viewer Hex Mode - Corrupted Display

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
hpw

AS 2.54 - Internal Viewer Hex Mode - Corrupted Display

Post by hpw »

On my Windows XP System the display of Hex Data has changed.
Invisible characters like x'00' are now displayed with a different
letter size and I don't know the reason or what configuration option
must be changed.

Attached you will find three files:
1. Config.png - screenshot of the internal viewer configuration
internal viewer configuration
internal viewer configuration
Config.png (20.33 KiB) Viewed 4005 times
2. Test_ok.png - screenshot of the display on an other PC
display ok
display ok
Test_ok.png (21.82 KiB) Viewed 4005 times
3. Test_NOT_ok.png - screenshot of the corrupted display.
corrupted display
corrupted display
Test_NOT_ok.png (30.76 KiB) Viewed 4005 times
Does someone have an idea which here is wrong?
SvA

Re: AS 2.54 - Internal Viewer Hex Mode - Corrupted Display

Post by SvA »

I recently experienced this also. It was on a Windows XP installation and appeared after I installed bidirectional text support.
I did not have the Windows install source ready and therefore skipped all the font files, the installer tried to install. I therefore guess, it has something to do with missing or incorrectly installed system fonts or some unfortunate configuration of font selection/substitution in Windows.

Only non-printable characters seem to be affected.

Selecting text in either the hex or text column might cause the text column to get formatted differently (different width), especially when CR and LF characters are involved.
SvA

Re: AS 2.54 - Internal Viewer Hex Mode - Corrupted Display

Post by SvA »

I found my XP installation CD and tried to fix this. First I uninstalled (the incomplete) support for complex scripts.
Then, after a reboot, I checked back with AS Hex Viewer display: everything as it should be.
Then I re-installed support for complex scripts. This time the installer found all the required files. But the result in Salamander's viewer was the same distorted display.

I tried different font settings in the viewer, but no choice fixed it.

Has anyone any idea how to get proper monospaced glyphs even for control characters when support for complex script and RTL text is enabled?