Windows 8: salmon.exe missing SALRTL9.DLL

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
jcgriff2

Re: Windows 8: salmon.exe missing SALRTL9.DLL

Post by jcgriff2 »

I too am unable to reproduce this.

All working fine here on Windows 8 x64 and x86.

Windows 8.1 going in over the weekend & Altap Salamander is always the 1st app to be installed.
J. C. Griffith
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - IT Pro
http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/John%20C.%20Griffith-4025562
Eric

Re: Error in Win8

Post by Eric »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Do you install Salamander to standard path?
Yes
Jan Rysavy wrote: Just for the test you can try to copy salrtd9.dll and salrtdp9.dll files from C:\Program Files\Altap Salamander (PB) to the C:\Program Files\Altap Salamander (PB)\utils directory.
That solves my problem. It starts without error.
Win2012, Win7, Win8 and Win8.1 x64 (german and english) | AS 3.0 beta 4 (x64)
Ether

Post by Ether »

Maybe I missed something, but isn't the obvious explanation that, for some reason, SalMon doesn't start in Salamander's directory?

If you're still interested in finding the bug, could you delete the two DLLs from the utils directory and use Process Monitor to log Salamander's startup? Just run the program, confirm the default filter set if necessary, start Salamander, close any error messages, close Salamander and then click File > Save in Process Monitor to save the log (in PML format). Put the resulting file in a ZIP and post it here.
Ελληνικά rulez.
ikarstein

Re: Error in Win8

Post by ikarstein »

Jan Rysavy wrote: Just for the test you can try to copy salrtd9.dll and salrtdp9.dll files from C:\Program Files\Altap Salamander (PB) to the C:\Program Files\Altap Salamander (PB)\utils directory.
thank you for your reply. I did see it today. Sorry. - I copied the DLL files and the problem is gone. - Thanks!

Ingo
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Unfortunately it is not proper solution, just ugly hack. Salamander update with new RTL would break it. We should find the source of this problem and solve it.
ikarstein

Post by ikarstein »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Unfortunately it is not proper solution, just ugly hack. Next Salamander update with new RTL will break it. We should find the source of this problem and solve it.
does salmon also start "as administrator" when starting salamander in elevated mode? AFAIK environment variables could be diffrent... may be the "start folder" is not set correctly...
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

ikarstein wrote:does salmon also start "as administrator" when starting salamander in elevated mode?
Yes, salmon does start "as administrator" too.

Does anyone still have this problem?
Eric

Post by Eric »

Yes, I do and a new one: "Internal error: cannot load any language file. Please contact us at ...", after pressing ok: "Failed to load resources from English.slg"

After installation of the release, I copied again the dll into the directory.

And the new msg comes when I start AS (not always)
Win2012, Win7, Win8 and Win8.1 x64 (german and english) | AS 3.0 beta 4 (x64)
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Eric, thank you for this information, I will contact you on your email. Do you have time to test special version of salamand.exe / salmon.exe?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Eric confirmed the problem is fixed, thank you. Fix will be available from AS 3.01.